Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was I thinking and will I ever remember >

What was I thinking and will I ever remember

What was I thinking and will I ever remember

Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM

I'm going to be taking a class on "Fun and Done" as part of a birthday road trip with my friend. So, in anticipation of hopefully not having to buy a lot of fabric (I can dream), I started pulling out storage containers of fabric last night. Had to scrape off about an inch of dust (how LONG have they been sitting there!?!).

Some fabrics were neatly folded and had the pattern or magazine that they were purchased for right with them. Well, that was a good idea.

Found the beautiful fall fabrics and Thimbleberries pattern with pumpkins and vines. I want to make THAT one now.

Oh, there some birds and gorgeous coordinates. I want to make THAT one right now.

Forgot about those State flower fat quarters. Is that I all got? Where are the rest of the States? Didn't I get Michigan?

Flannels and lots of them... chenille? Raggedy? Baby? What the heck was I thinking.

Traditions with a Twist.... wow, those are some beautiful, bright, cheery florals. THAT'S the one I want to make next.

Shirtings.... oh, so that's where they were. Where are the ones I just bought, so I can put them all together.....

What are these? I have no idea and none of them really go together, but there sure are a lot of fat quarters in this one.

Black and whites, some brights. What's that pattern? Why did I want to make it? I don't even like it anymore. Wow, has my taste gotten better or just changed.....

Batiks. Well, none of these goes with any of the others.

And that's only 1/2 of what's in the sewing room. I gave up and went to bed. And haven't walked back in since. Just not brave enough.

I can only hope that as I get older and more forgetful, I will come to the day where everything is new and exciting, and I will marvel at my genius and fortuitous planning to have purchased them just for this.... .... well, whatever it is.

What was I talking about again?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Such a familiar story...but it has a happy ending! You don't have to purchase fabric for awhile!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:09 PM

U can go shopping everyday at ur own house!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 PM

I feel your pain.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Know what you mean.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I had purchased several kits years ago, and I look at them now and think WHAT! So, now that I am in the Fabric Moratorium, I am dismantling the kits and using the fabrics for other projects. Yes our tastes definitely change as we progress and we need to be creative. I'm sure we all have fabric and patterns that we have bought, and then thought " what was I thinking" later.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 AM

I think we have all been down that road at least once or twice.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

4 years ago hubby and i moved to a new home-
while moving my brother in law stood in front of me with hands on hips and stated:
"Colleen, i am POSITIVE there is a rule...no one should own more than a ton of fabric...unless it is in a store!"
this after about the 10th full construction size garbage bag...:)

i as i un-packed (didn't notice while packing i guess) i realized i had ... lots of kits, lots of projects -yes even with the magazine with the fabrics-
no excuse to spend ANY money on fabric until i weeded through what i had and made a dent.
first year in the house- i did not spend a single dollar on a single piece of fabric!
2nd year---fell in love with a couple collections---fell off the wagon---
but didn't go crazy- only bought maybe 10 yards of fabric the whole 2nd year.
3rd year- really dove into scrap quilts- i'm going to use this stuff up dog-gone=it!
had to buy 3 backs that 3rd year...
the 4th year just ended last month---between the 3rd & 4th i also started looking at ufo's and kits with (new-eyes) and gave away ALOT! i think 37 packages of ufos, kits, scraps, orphan blocks ect.
I am now starting my 5th year in the house- my stash is still a bit crazy- but it fits in the sewing room now-instead of taking up most of the garage, the sewing room, quilting room, hall closets...
and i do not have much left in yardage- now it is 90% scraps...sooooooo

YEA! I GET TO START BUYING FABRIC AGAIN!!! last year was hard for me to (contain myself) there have been so many just wonderful new collections---oh i want so bad! now instead of looking, feeling, wishing and walking away because there is no room for or need for- now i have need again!
funny how we collect and stash...
a multi-faceted addiction this thing we call quilting!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 AM

It's always nice to have partners in crime, er, I mean, fellow cohorts... well, that is, people who think the same. Yeah, that's it.

:-)
Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MIJul
It's always nice to have partners in crime, er, I mean, fellow cohorts... well, that is, people who think the same. Yeah, that's it.

:-)
uh - huh :oops: