Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I want..... >

What I want.....

What I want.....

Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM

I bought an office chair on wheels for under 100 and it is wonderful. Buy a cutting table at Joann's when they are on sale and they are right now for $69, I believe. Lots of shelves. I have a sewing table where my machine can lift up/down abd fold into a piece of furniture - pretty pricey. A good iron that turns off when not in use. If you don't have a display board, my husband put a long dowel across the top of my cupboard doors, we attatched a flannel backed table cloth to it and when not in use, I roll it up out of the way. A computer, a tv, and lots of good light.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Clock... so you'll know when you HAVE to come out!!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:57 AM

And I forgot to mention an intercom to talk back and forth to my husband who is always calling me from rooms away. You can get them at Radio Shack.
A doggie and/or cat helps to keep me on track. I call my cat "the Supervisor" She requires a separate chair to sit next to me.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Outlets, lots and lots of outlets at different levels. I would have one wall that was all window and enough lighting to be seen from outer space! And absolutly no carpeting on the floor!!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ragdoll
And I forgot to mention an intercom to talk back and forth to my husband who is always calling me from rooms away. You can get them at Radio Shack.
A doggie and/or cat helps to keep me on track. I call my cat "the Supervisor" She requires a separate chair to sit next to me.
Hmm, an intercom is a really good idea! A pet can be a wonderful companion for sewing. They like to "help". :lol:
Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 AM

A good chair is a must have and an ironing/cutting table. I have a craft table (Sullivan's Home Hobby Table) that I bought at Joanns (with a 50% off coupon). What's nice about it is you can now buy an ironing board cover for it so you have a nice big ironing area to work on and I bought the largest cutting mat I could find and it fits great on top of the table. Two functions for one table is a real space saver and budget-friendly. The other thing I absolutely cannot live without is the 17"x17" Olfa Rotary Cutting Mat. It's pricey so you want to have a coupon handy but I use it constantly. You can spin the mat and cut vs. moving the fabric.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM

I need to look into the ironing board top for the cutting table. I do a lot of paper piecing and I lower the ironing board to my level so I can swivel in my chair and reach the iron without getting up. I do get up when there's an email on my computer so that gives me a little break from sitting and sewing.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Ragdoll, don't sit to long, you could get blood clots, The Dr. says you should walk around a few min. every 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.

I have my cutting board on a piece of plywood and place it on a counter top. I got a long cabinet and drilled a couple of holes and place the plywood on top with a couple of holes in it and use bolts to fashen it down then place the place mat on top. This way when I have family or guest I can take it off and place it in the back of the cabinet out of the way and they will have more room.

Cookie
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks. I do make sure I get up and about.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 PM

I have been "taking back" my sewing room for several months. The cabinets are now lined and all fabrics (well, what could fit) are sorted by color, folded and stacked. I like the doors closed to keep the light from fading. My fat quarters are also folded, sorted and in small boxes in another cabinet. I have four big tubs under the table, sorted by categories, etc. But the highlight and must have item of my sewing room is my table. I bought an adjustable height table from IKEA. They have many sizes, you can find one that will fit your area. I have it low for sewing to take the stress off my arms and shoulders. When I need it higher, I can move my machine and adjust the height. (or use the dining table with bed lifters.)