Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspires you quilt color choices. >

What inspires you quilt color choices.

What inspires you quilt color choices.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 AM

Most of my quilts are gifts so first thing I decide is what color(s) would be appropriate for the person. I really like brighter colors but sometimes the person the quilt is intended for likes everything kind of neutral. Got a surprise when the fabrics in the quilt kit I ordered for a dear friend's quilt were a lot bolder (really louder) than I expected. You know what? She loved it, said she sleeps under it every night and that it added a little brightness to her home. So I guess just go with what you like and it will be OK.

Presently I'm working on 2 baby quilts for soon to be born grandnieces. Instead of pink quilts I'm making one quilt in yellow and blues and the other will be scrappy 30"s Repro fabrics with white background. I'm sure the new babies will get plenty of pink stuff. May in Jersey
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I am drawn to the fabric and sometimes buy it without knowing what I will use it in. But I am never sorry that I bought it. The fabric has to catch my eye so to speak.
EXACTLY! I just buy what I like ...usually without a plan of how I will use it. When I get fabric home I start mixing with what I already have. Most of the time, I have to head back to the store to get more of one of my choices. I usually start with FQs. One time I couldnt find exactly what I needed until I was at the resale shop... there was a mans cotton shirt in the perfect plaid... so I bought it, washed it and cut it up. It's in a table runner and nobody would ever guess where that fabric came from.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 AM

i tend to gravitate towards autumn colors - my favorite time of the year. I like traditional blocks. I like Civil war prints and actually contrary to what i just said I like the 30's prints too... all but bright vibrant colors I guess.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 PM

I'm attracted to a fabric and then build around it. I try to figure out the best type of block that will work to enhance the fabric.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:53 PM

I start with a pattern and person in mind. Then, when that's is done I want to use the scraps from that quilt, add more to it and make another and sometimes that leads to a third. Then I tire of that color group and start the whole process over again. I have material for several quilts now with no one in mind for them and that is very foreign to me.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM

I'm with Cutebuns. I get a pattern I like and play with different colors until it looks the way I want. I did a sampler once in burnt red, navy on off white. Although not many colors, it was dramatic because it was a king size with double batting, handquilted.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:47 AM

I love bright true colors. Recently Mexico folk fabrics have gotten my attention. I also love earthly greens, blues, and purples together. I agree that the more different fabrics in a quilt make it more interesting and fun to play with.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by farscapegal
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i've always been drawn to color. if things aren't colorful i actually feel like my retina is hurting.

i take my color ques from nature and when i studied natural surroundings i discovered that all colors go together and its value and tone that makes them play well with each other.
It is always about values and tone for me. The color is secondary.

Sybil

so glad you posted this, I said the same thing! :D :D Color is not my first worry. Do I have enough darks? and so forth: I've tried the other way, but my brain just doesn't function that way anymore! :wink:
Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 AM

Ninnie, I've learned to think outside the box and my brain is wired up differently. The more colors, the more problems I run into, so less is more for me. I so enjoy seeing quilts done by others and the colors they use.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 AM

I love bright colors and also prefer needleturn applique. I just see something and then try do make do with what fabrics I have, and I have quite a bit of fabric.