Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What iron to buy?

What iron to buy?

I dropped my iron again, after my dog had already pulled it off the table, and this time it bit the dust. Tomorrow I will buy a new iron. Any suggestions, complaints, or favorites? I want a cordless iron and I'm wondering about the ones with points on both ends. I think I would prefer a stainless steel base. I do not use steam because I use Best Press. This iron is strictly for quilting. Someone suggested Panasonic. They have the regular end and the dual pointed ends. It comes with a carrying case, which I will not use. It will stay in my quilting area. That's all the info I can think of to add. Help. Thanks.
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

I bought this when it first came out and I love it !!! Mine gets hot and I've never had an issue with it, I like that I can stand it on its end when I need to, you can't with the double pointed end. The water tank is removable but I don't use steam. I guess I need to buy a backup because it looks like it's not going to be made anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NI-...+cordless+iron
    Lisa

That's the same iron that other lady suggested. I see a lot of them online. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic with both ends pointed. I have heard they are wonderful for pressing seams open.
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

Blog Entries
    I love my oslo yellow that has pop up feet. I love not having to flip up the iron and hope it doesnt tip over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
    I do not use steam because I use Best Press.
    I don't understand the qualifier. What does Best Press have to do with steam? Curious minds....

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I don't understand the qualifier. What does Best Press have to do with steam? Curious minds....
    I think she means she doesn't use steam because she only uses spray starch. ???

Best Press is an alternate to spray sizing. Its in a spray bottle and you use it with a dry iron. (It doesn't scorch like starch or spray sizing and makes the quilt blocks smell awesome.)
    Last edited by Just Jan; 07-11-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Best Press is an alternate to spray sizing.
    Just as long as you know it is starch. It's just been clarified, perfumed, and has an added surfactant to help it absorb into the fabric quickly.

Just as long as you know it is starch. It's just been clarified, perfumed, and has an added surfactant to help it absorb into the fabric quickly.
    It says right on the bottle "Mary Ellen's BEST PRESS The Clear Starch and Sizing Alternative," which is what I said. What difference would that make in purchasing an iron, except that I don't use steam?

She uses Best Press instead of steam as I do. I don't even have a steam iron. I use water in a spray bottle or Best Press depending on what I am pressing. Then I do not have to worry about nasty leaks on my fabric and clothing. I have a Continental brand iron and can be purchased from Amazon.
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

I bought a new brand of iron to me, an Erueka 1800 watt by Electrolux from online Walmart because it was 50% off and free shipping. It's a darn good iron. Gets very hot fast. The higher the wattage the hotter the iron. To me the 1200 watt irons are not hot enough to set seams and make the block flat compared to the higher watt irons.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 07-12-2017 at 05:09 AM.
    I love my life!

I have the Panasonic 360 and LOVE IT! I do not use steam either. I love the two points when pressing seams. Don't know who thought of the design but it's GENIOUS. If anything happened to the one I have, I would absolutely buy another one. I do not use steam in my irons anymore. In my experience, at some point they all leak. Also the lime deposits on fabric. it is next to impossible to clean them and get all the gunk out of the steam holes. I was in the fabric industry for nearly 40 years. When fabric is steamed and ironed, the fabric should be left alone until 100% dry. When you steam and move the fabric before it is dry you risk stretching and distortion. If you use any type of wet spray in addition to steaming you cannot iron the piece totally dry. I have owned steam irons from low end cheapies to very high end cadillac models. I had 2 high end models that the tanks developed a leak INTO the iron and they caught fire! That is when a very wonderful person taught me the value of old time ironing, dry iron with reflective iron pad or cover.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

Dang! I use the Mary Ellen's Best Press AND I use steam! Am I really missing the boat? Am I "over-doing"? So....you use the Mary Ellen's and then just dry iron? Hmmm......I'm thinking my irons would probably last forever if I didn't use steam.....Does anyone else use Mary Ellen's Best Press and steam? And, why aren't the irons just straight sided? Is there a reason that they all have that slight curve? Wondering what is the best design, shape, weight, etc. for an iron that is just used for quilting?

Hi everybody, thanks for your help. Yes, Nora, you're missing the boat. Use a dry iron with Best Press. No worries about a leaking iron and the fabric does not get so wet. You will also avoid those dirty little brown leaks from your iron. I finally settled on the Panasonic NI-WL600 iron. Purchased it through Amazon and saved money and bought the 2 year warrantee. Paid $78 plus change. Was selling elsewhere for $99 and $129. Should arrive next week. I press seams open and this one is supposed to be the bomb for that. I considered the Olisio but read bad reviews and even had one dealer refuse to sell it. Said there is too many problems with the lift springs going bad and poor customer service. Seems life expectancy is about a year. The ratings for best irons said this Panasonic is the highest rated iron with 98.8 rating. I guess I'll see! lol I'll let you know when I try it. Thanks to all who posted here. This board is the best! Janet
    Last edited by Just Jan; 07-12-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    It says right on the bottle "Mary Ellen's BEST PRESS The Clear Starch and Sizing Alternative," which is what I said.
    I understand you said it was an alternative to sizing, and I'm not disputing that. I am simply pointing out that Best Press is starch. Just because the label says "alternative" doesn't mean it's not starch, it means it's an alternative to other starches. Smart and tricky marketing. The MSDS information for Best Press says it's a starch product.

What difference would that make in purchasing an iron, except that I don't use steam?
    I don't know, I was wondering the same thing, which is why I was asking.

I bought a TFAL iron and it is terrible. Set on the hottest setting just to iron cotton and it dosnt get all the wrinkles out.
    Havent used it with water yet. Sprayed the fabric with water and that helped. Ive had alot of irons in my 77 yrs but this one is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
    I guess I need to buy a backup because it looks like it's not going to be made anymore.
    Eep!! I have that iron too, and I love it. Maybe I ought to buy a backup too, I just sort of assumed that it was so wonderful that it'd be around forever, but I suppose I should know better!

One reviewer gave the best answer. She said the Panosonic rechargeable stayed hot for 60 -90 seconds before having to be put back on the charger and took about that to reheat. This would drive me nuts as I can barely tolerate the auto off after 15 minutes.
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    I love my Oliso. And when it breaks I'll get another. The pop up feet saves me from shoulder problems.

I have a cheap Black and Decker. It's at least 15 years old, paid maybe $10 for it at Walmart on sale, get good and hot, no auto-off to hinder long pressing sessions, has steam if I want (not often since I make batches of stayflo at 50/50) and when it gets too much starch residue on the bottom I clean it with faultless iron cleaner and n old bath towel. Used in conjunction with my homemade ironing board-- which has the reflective covering it works great.

I like it a lot better than the more expensive irons I've used at my LQS that don't get hot enough to press well, or shut off too quickly.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ahh!! The iron debate again. I purchased an expensive iron (steam) and only had it a few months. called manufacturer since it was under warranty. Have yet to hear anything from them. Sent email and no response. I will stick to the cheaper hot ones. I use a spray bottle can't stand the Best Press because of the price and odor. I do just fine with my Sta-Flo which I can control the stiffness. I miss my old GE but after 40+ years I guess it was time to bite the dust. A Teflon can only tolerate so much heat otherwise the Teflon coating will come off. That's why it's hard to get a good sear in a Teflon skillet for a steak.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I am back iron shopping, I love the Rowenta I use for quilting, I use steam sometimes, never leaked, yet! I replaced my broken travel size Rowenta recently, used in our RV. I did some quilting while we were up north and found that I hate the iron. It is 1000 watts, never got hot enough, pressed the same spots over and over. So now I need to replace it again. I do like to read about everyone's choices knowing that the sewing area iron has to bite the dust someday! Love these iron discussions!

Hi everybody, thanks for your help. Yes, Nora, you're missing the boat. Use a dry iron with Best Press. No worries about a leaking iron and the fabric does not get so wet. You will also avoid those dirty little brown leaks from your iron. I finally settled on the Panasonic NI-WL600 iron. Purchased it through Amazon and saved money and bought the 2 year warrantee. Paid $78 plus change. Was selling elsewhere for $99 and $129. Should arrive next week. I press seams open and this one is supposed to be the bomb for that. I considered the Olisio but read bad reviews and even had one dealer refuse to sell it. Said there is too many problems with the lift springs going bad and poor customer service. Seems life expectancy is about a year. The ratings for best irons said this Panasonic is the highest rated iron with 98.8 rating. I guess I'll see! lol I'll let you know when I try it. Thanks to all who posted here. This board is the best! Janet
    I have had different brands of irons. Some were good and some were not good. My last iron was the pink Oliso and it was still going strong after two years. I gave it to my daughter because I needed a lighter weight iron thanks to a torn muscle in the right rotator cuff. I got the Panasonic N1-WL600 at the same price from Amazon a few months ago. I use steam and/or Best Press; the iron works well either way. The wattage range is 120V for low heat to 1500W for the highest heat setting. After I read the manual, I got used to how it works and I LOVE it. No regrets at all!

Best iron I've EVER used is the Reliable Velocity. Not cheap: $169 on sale - but no drips, heats quickly, handles any fabric w/o scorching, generous water tank, great steam, presses out wrinkles in batiks/denim/aged fabric w/o a hiccup. I LOVE IT

Blog Entries
    I purchased a Rowenta a couple of years ago and loved it until it starting peeing like a puppy within the first year. I then purchased a B&D Digital Advantage for about $49 at Bed Bath and it's wonderful. I see they are on sale now at Bed Bath for $39. Jan, I will be curious to know which one you decide on....I'm in the "inquiring minds" category.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast