Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron to buy? >

What iron to buy?

What iron to buy?

Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Here is my $12 worth of opinion on irons. My standard sized iron is an old Black & Decker that I got at Shopko years ago. When I started quilting, I made a small pressing table for next to my sewing machine and bought a vintage Durabilt folding travel iron for using there. It works great, it is hot and smooth and is ideal for pressing seams and blocks. Both irons were $12.00 each - my kind of price point:-)

You can see the Durabilt on my pressing table:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582102[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170914_114021-800x600.jpg  
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 AM

Hi Theresa. I have the same Featherweight table and of course my Singer Redeye treadle. Love your blue and white blocks. I still have a few of mine to finish from that thread. I keep getting side tracked with other blocks! Call me the Queen of UFOs!

I finally found an iron I truly love. They say the third times the charm and in this case its true. I purchased Maytag M-800 and could not like it more! Here's what I just posted in another link called "Can we talk Irons?"

I never realized what a hassel purchasing an iron would become! I started with the Panasonic cordless. It was heavy, did not heat up nearly hot enough, and even though I rarely use steam, I tried that and it leaked like a sieve! It was also heavy for me as my strength is compromised by the Chemo I am on now. The constant picking it up and returning it to the base was a real problem and it would not slide down completely into the base many times, as I thought it was reheating when in fact it was not down far enough to connect with the heating element. Returned it and purchased a Hamilton Beach corded
iron. The cord swivels so that was not a problem any longer, like it was with my old iron. A nice iron all but for the coated base plate. I then learned about the Maytag with the Stainless Steel base plate, swivel extra long cord, and auto 3 way safety shutoff, and heats to maximum temp in 55 seconds. Even has a removable water tan. (All the bells and whistles.) It even has a non tipping feature that makes it hard to accidentally knock over, yet tips easily for use; an additional bonus feature they do not even advertise! It has the best even-steam distribution system I have ever seen or used, offering about twice the number of vents in the Stainless Steel base. Even though the iron has some weight to it, its designed so its easy to tip to use, so its the best of both worlds. Its a Maytag Model M-800 and comes with a two year guarantee. They say "The third time's the charm" and in this case its true... Its the best iron I have ever owned. Who ever thought one could LOVE an iron? But I do!

Last edited by Just Jan; 10-13-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Penster View Post
Good to know, thanks for sharing. I was seriously thinking of a cordless for my mini board right next to my machine. I feel quite certain that the things you mentioned that irritated you badly would also cause me to dislike that iron.
I second the gratitude for the updated review. I've had issues with my out-of-warranty Oliso not heating properly and was looking at Panasonic.

(Aside: I wrote to Oliso about my iron. I received a prompt reply that I could prepay $69 [plus my postage...I'm estimating $10] for a repair or replacement [at their discretion]. I replied that for $80 I could purchase a new iron. )

My first experience with Panasonic cordless some years back was not a positive one. It seemed the iron was always in reheat mode when I needed it. I was hoping Panasonic had improved on that issue, but from previous comments--apparently not. Your updated review has encouraged me to look elsewhere.

PS I'm checking out the Maytag....It's the first of heard of that brand.

Last edited by thrums; 10-23-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
I second the gratitude for the updated review. I've had issues with my out-of-warranty Oliso not heating properly and was looking at Panasonic.

(Aside: I wrote to Oliso about my iron. I received a prompt reply that I could prepay $69 [plus my postage...I'm estimating $10] for a repair or replacement [at their discretion]. I replied that for $80 I could purchase a new iron. )

My first experience with Panasonic cordless some years back was not a positive one. It seemed the iron was always in reheat mode when I needed it. I was hoping Panasonic had improved on that issue, but from previous comments--apparently not. Your updated review has encouraged me to look elsewhere.

PS I'm checking out the Maytag....It's the first of heard of that brand.
It was the first I heard of Maytag Irons too. And now its been awhile since I received it, and I use it daily, so I can honestly sing its praises again. Its the best iron I ever owned!