Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron to buy? >

What iron to buy?

What iron to buy?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:08 PM

I have the Oliso iron and use it daily with no problems. My only issue it seems the point on the sole of the iron doesn't get as hot as the main body. It is a very good iron steam or no.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Hi everybody, thanks for your help. Yes, Nora, you're missing the boat. Use a dry iron with Best Press. No worries about a leaking iron and the fabric does not get so wet. You will also avoid those dirty little brown leaks from your iron. I finally settled on the Panasonic NI-WL600 iron. Purchased it through Amazon and saved money and bought the 2 year warrante. Paid $78 plus change. Was selling elsewhere for $99 and $129. Should arrive next week. I press seams open and this one is supposed to be the bomb for that. I considered the Olisio but read bad reviews and even had one dealer refuse to sell it. Said there is too many problems with the lift springs going bad and poor customer service. Seems life expectancy is about a year. The ratings for best irons said this Panasonic is the highest rated iron with 98.8 rating. I guess I'll see! lol I'll let you know when I try it. Thanks to all who posted here. This board is the best! Janet
Time to post an update!!! I absolutely HATE my iron. I purchased the Panasonic NI-WL600. It doesn't get hot enough, it shuts off too soon for quilting, its heavy to lift in and out of the base, and I do not like that both ends are pointed. That means one is constantly lifting it in and out of the base which is a real pain. Also, if you don't get it exactly in the right spot on the base it doesn't slide down in far enough to reheat. It hangs up unless you watch as you return it to the base each time! Between the short shut off time, not getting or staying hot enough and the constant lifting it in and out of the base, it was a very bad choice on my part. I figured I'd give it a chance and maybe I'd get used to it... never happened. Today (Three months later) I went to WalMart and purchased a regular steam iron (Hamilton Beach 19800) and it works much better. The only thing I would change is I'd prefer a regular stainless steel bottom and this one has Teflon or Durathon or whatever the coating is. It also has the swivel cord which keeps the cord from getting in the way and has 3 way shutoff. I think the shutoff time if not in use is 30 minutes and its instant if knocked over. It cost $23.48 and time will tell how it holds up. If it only lasts a year I'm ok at that price. I just want something that does a good job with quilt blocks and is easy on my arm and shoulder. Just saying I would not recommend the Panasonic cordless to anyone. Thought I'd update this post to share my thoughts for anyone else looking to purchase an iron.

Last edited by Just Jan; 10-01-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:48 PM

I know Jan's settled on something but just wanted to put in a plug for my loyal trusty cordless Maytag. I've had it probably over 10 years and I still love it. It gets hot fast, shuts off when I forget to turn it off (yeah, I do!) and works well for quilting and regular garment pressing. I would like it to produce more steam but it does fairly well with that too. I do use best press, when I think about it, and also steam. Works fine for me! long live Maytag! had a Mayteg washer and dryer for the last 20 years and loved them too. Had to just replace dryer and can't stand my new one. Couldn't afford the highest price one and this one feels really cheaply made. I hate losing quality products!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:24 PM

I hav e to look up the Oliso as I hate to pick it up and I also saw one on one of the quilt tutorial that looks like the back becomes a rest when putting it down and now I can't find it. Will just look up ions on the sites.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Time to post an update!!! I absolutely HATE my iron. I purchased the Panasonic NI-WL600. It doesn't get hot enough, it shuts off too soon for quilting, its heavy to lift in and out of the base, and I do not like that both ends are pointed. That means one is constantly lifting it in and out of the base which is a real pain. Also, if you don't get it exactly in the right spot on the base it doesn't slide down in far enough to reheat. It hangs up unless you watch as you return it to the base each time! Between the short shut off time, not getting or staying hot enough and the constant lifting it in and out of the base, it was a very bad choice on my part. I figured I'd give it a chance and maybe I'd get used to it... never happened. Today (Three months later) I went to WalMart and purchased a regular steam iron (Hamilton Beach 19800) and it works much better. The only thing I would change is I'd prefer a regular stainless steel bottom and this one has Teflon or Durathon or whatever the coating is. It also has the swivel cord which keeps the cord from getting in the way and has 3 way shutoff. I think the shutoff time if not in use is 30 minutes and its instant if knocked over. It cost $23.48 and time will tell how it holds up. If it only lasts a year I'm ok at that price. I just want something that does a good job with quilt blocks and is easy on my arm and shoulder. Just saying I would not recommend the Panasonic cordless to anyone. Thought I'd update this post to share my thoughts for anyone else looking to purchase an iron.
Good to know, thanks for sharing. I was seriously thinking of a cordless for my mini board right next to my machine. I feel quite certain that the things you mentioned that irritated you badly would also cause me to dislike that iron.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:39 PM

Helen6869 I did not know about the Maytag irons. I looked them up and their corded iron is almost identical to the Hamilton Beach iron I just purchased, except it has the stainless steel bottom that I wanted. Its about 1/3 more expensive. I might have chosen it for the stainless bottom if I had known. I can't get over how similar they are. If this one bites the dust I will definitely try to see a Maytag. I think I'm going to like this one but won't know for sure until its time tested.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Hi all. I think my wonderful Yellow Oliso is toast, but I'm not sure. I smelled a hot iron yesterday and then again today. I took a peek at the bottom of the contraption and it looks scortched. So I just tried to iron the ironing board cover and it seemed to scortch that. Now I am afraid to use it for fear of a fire.

What can I clean the plate with? I've always used distilled water in it. I have two other retired irons.

Maytag sold out to Whirlpool some time ago.

Marcia
Old 10-01-2017, 04:35 PM

BATTLE AXE, the directions with an Oliso tells you not to use distilled water unless you have over 12 gms of hardness. Then I think they say to dilute 1/2 and 1/2. I believe it is Bohn that makes a good iron cleaner. Look on Oliso's site for cleaning instructions. Baking soda comes to mind but not sure. Could it be that you are not scorching your cover , only that it is coming off the iron? Hope so. Spray starch and iron on products can nasty up an iron for sure.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Battle Axe (Marcia) Their irons are still sold under the Maytag name. Sorry about your iron problems. Hope it can be fixed. My iron says use only tap water and if you prefer to use distilled water to only use it every other time. Is bottled drinking water considered the same as using tap water in an iron? I can't imagine using my tap water. It tastes nasty and sure nothing like spring water. I normally use Best Press but tried water in this new iron and I like how it works. It has the vertical steam feature and I'd like to use water in it for that purpose. I don't know what you use to clean it, but I remember we used to clean the iron then we ironed over wax paper as the last part of cleaning it.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 PM

Wow, glad I took a look at this. I think I will look into the Maytag Iron, about $45 on Amazon. At the least I will always look for the stainless steel plates. I had an Oliso, overheated and fried with 3 months. so never spending tons of money again. I currently have a Black n Decker from Walmart, has worked well, but the teflon (?) plate is a mess now, wearing off and not allowing me to iron smoothly. Has lasted me 6 years for, what?.. $19 or $29. Can't beat that!