Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!! I have watched a blue million videos, but still manage to screw things up. How do you figure what your seam allowance should be for binding? I didn't realize you had to do this, as I thought everything was 1/4"...not that my 1/4" is great.

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/
I felt exactly the same way, until I learned how to make and use bias binding. I cut it 2 and 1/2 inches wide, then press (not iron) the piece carefully in half lengthwise. I then apply it from the front (1/4 inch seam), trim batting and backing, and roll it over to the back and hand stitch it to the back. Lots of people tell me I don't need to do bias binding, and that I can machine sew it down, but I can't get it flat and smooth if I don't. Just like the rest of us, you will find what works best for you. Make a few potholders to practice on, and you will find your method.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
When you flip it over, press it well from both the front and back. After you fold it press a sharp crease in the binding. You probably will not even have to pin or clip the binding down to hand sew it.

Never say can't! Of course you can. froggyintexas
Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM

Keep trying what ever method you use. I use to use the 2.5 binding and .25 seam but I was always left with empty binding. I cut my binding size to 2.25 with .25 seam and stitch on the front, hand sew to back and make mitered corners. I always have to use the sheet I saved for mitered corners cause I forget. I still have not gotten the sewing the ends of the binding together with a bias seam right. I have been doing bindings for about 20 years now. Ok so I am a slow learner lol . Give yourself time and practice.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use 2 1/2" strips and I use a "just over" 1/4" seam allowance, close to the 3/8"
This is what I do too, if you have a walking foot it makes applying the folded 2 1/2" strip a breeze.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM

that's how I do it
Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
I had just that question today. How to you bind a baby quilt as babies are apt to chew on the edges. A double binding is the answer. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Ditto
Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

I don't trim the backing and batting until after I have attached the binding. Then I cut it even with the binding seam or larger if I am using blanket binding. I always want it to fill up the binding. I use 2 1/2" binding doubled over
. I think most of us use the same size for all quilts. If you watch Missouri Star Quilt you tube video, you will understand it better.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM

21/2 inch strips folded in half, sewed on with a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch seam.I like Kay Woods way for mitered corners as well. Try a practice piece Charlie Brown. (sorry I couldn't resist).
Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM

I start out with 4 1/2 inches, I fold mine in half which makes it 2 1/4 inches, I sew that on the quilt with a 1/4 inch seam on my sewing machine, then turn it to the back and sew it on by hand sewing. It turns out to be 1 inch when I get done. I always leave enough batting to puff it up, like one inch.