Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
Yup. This is what I do, too:-)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions and MANY width options to choose from! I am sure the different sizes depend on the thickness of the quilt.

Walking foot squawking foot....I hate mine!! If you can imagine a snow shovel, that is exactly what mine does. It pushes the fabric toward me and I always have 2" extra whatever at the end when I use it! Mine doesn't function like the ones I have seen on the videos, where the foot stays nice and level....nope, I have a shovel!

I will keep trying and if all else fails, I will just do the sides, then top/ bottom and call it done! lol Thanks to everyone here, I now have a bunch of new videos to watch! The leaving the extra bating would solve the problem of too much flipped over!

I will watch some of those videos, try a few small pieces, and respond with my progress. Thanks again so much and if you think of anything else, I would be happy to receive the info! By the way, I can only machine stitch the last side, until I learn to hand stitch it :)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM

I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
Yes, that is what I do too!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Yes, that is what I do too!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Wish I lived close to you because I would show you or just do the binding for you. Binding is the grand finale of quilting and I love it.
Hang in there...you'll get it down pat soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Ditto from me. And I spray it with Mary Ellen's fabric spray
Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Ditto! :D
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!! I have watched a blue million videos, but still manage to screw things up. How do you figure what your seam allowance should be for binding? I didn't realize you had to do this, as I thought everything was 1/4"...not that my 1/4" is great.

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/
I just applied my binding yesterday following the Sharon Schamber's school glue method. It works (unbelievably) great. No pins to deal with. Go sparingly with the glue, I have a few places that the glue is showing through. But...no biggie will just take a damp rag when I am finished and remove it. I am quite pleased with this method and it is the only way that I will finish my quilts from now on. She does give the measurements that she uses for her binding but suggests to use what you like. One thing to notice as well in the video is when she says to fold the binding into thirds to mark you seam allowance she says the scant hangover should be on the raw edge...after sewing about a foot I realized the scant edge should be on the folded edge. Also...heed warning to leaving a good 8" tail to attach the two ends of your binding together. It is REALLY important. Ask me how I know...

Here is the link for the tut
http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/
Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 PM

I have prolems putting binding on myseld. Its a pain.
I have been making table runners; placemats, and potholders.
Sooner or later I will get the hang of putting binding on.
Then maybe I can put ALL my quilt tops together and finish them.
I am teaching myself how to do all this.
Good luck>
Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM

I've been making "your average quilt" for years. I've never used binding on one yet- not even a king. If you are interested in how I do mine, PM me & I'll explain. I learned "my" way in the one & only class I ever took.