Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM

You'll have to experiment with binding widths. Do a practice sandwich. The type of batting makes a big difference. The fluffy stuff is going to need more width.And whether you trim the quilt before or after applying the binding will also be a factor. Floppy bindings aren't cool. Once you figure out what works, it will become second nature.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM

I have done each quilt different...I have watched many videos - One thing I do know is once you wash/dry and then look at your finish quilt it looks great..and...also noone looks closely at the binding...you may think its horrible but others love it.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Someone posted this link to a binding chart, not sure if this is what you are asking. The seam allowance would be your finished width you want your binding. So if you want a 1" finished binding, see the chart to cut your strips the right width and sew on the front with a 1" seam allowance...not sure if I have helped...

http://quiltbug.com/Articles/binding-calculator.htm

this would be the one...sorry

http://quiltersden.ca/wp-content/upl...t-Binding2.pdf
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Besides piecing, binding is my favorite part of making a quilt. I use the 2 1/2" strips, folded in half, sew on the front with a 1/4" seam and take it to the back and hand sew it on. Great for doing while watching (...er, listening) to TV.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Don't feel bad. I also had trouble trying to figure out binding. I ended up taking a quilting class to learn how. Now it's one of my favorite part of the process because I know it's the end.

I also keep a binding chart and instructions posted to the wall in my sewing room and refer to it each time it's time to make my binding.

It's definitely not easy for everyone.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Here's some quilting heresy....hurry, call the police!!!! I cut 1 1/2 or 2" binding, sew to the front right sides together then use invisible thread in the bobbin when I roll and tuck under so that when the seam is not perfectly in the ditch on the front side of the quilt, I don't loose my mind. So I am closing off the binding by sewing the 2nd time on the back of the quilt using a walking foot all the time. Hand sewing works fabulously too. After many quilts, binding looks pretty good....practice makes nearly perfect! Don't get discouraged!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Okay, I do basically what everyone else does...however, I use a 3" strip, fold in half, press and depending on my mood I sew the raw edge side to either the front or the back using closer to 3/8" seam. I do miter my corners and usually hand stitch the other side down. I have been known to use a decorate machine stitch instead of hand sewing, especially since I have had problems with my right hand.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The quilt police will arrest me for typing this but......it is my quilt and I'll do it my way. I cut my binding 2¼ inches
sew it on the front side of quilt ¼ inch seam allowance doing both right and left sides. I turn them to the back and hand stitch them down. I then do the same for the top and bottom. I do not miter the corners. I fold the raw edges in and hand stitch on the back side again. Find a way that works for you.:)

Would love to see a pic of your way :)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I use 2 1/2" strips and I use a "just over" 1/4" seam allowance, close to the 3/8"
this is what I learned in the binding class I took years ago... one of the best 3 hours I ever spent!! We learned how to stitch the ends to make it fit perfectly and even this beginner quilter can make the binding work every time!!

My advice would be to find someone to "tutor" you or find a class?
My problem is I know how to do the binding, but I don't know if I could explain that fitting part very well...

Hang in there!!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tangledthread
Someone posted this link to a binding chart, not sure if this is what you are asking. The seam allowance would be your finished width you want your binding. So if you want a 1" finished binding, see the chart to cut your strips the right width and sew on the front with a 1" seam allowance...not sure if I have helped...

http://quiltbug.com/Articles/binding-calculator.htm

this would be the one...sorry

http://quiltersden.ca/wp-content/upl...t-Binding2.pdf

Exactly! Thanks for the link, it's awesome!