Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
Exactly the way I do it, for over 40 years, never a problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/3902
now this video starts about two color binding, just watch past that and see how she does each side of her quilt with individual binding. easy way if miters are a problem.
2 1/2 or 2 1/4 strips of binding would work fine.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I have made at least 100 quilts and can say I dont mind binding but that hasnt always been the case. Recently I came across Sharon Schambers glue method for binding. It is so precise and the results are perfect. You can find the videos (3 parts) on youtube.com then search for Sharon Schamber binding. Go slow and you will be happy with the results. It is a little more time consuming the first couple of times. I use 2.25" strips but you may be more comfortable with 2.5". A lot also depends on how thick your batting is. I always use a thin batting.
The glue method is great. Today I also tried it for holding down needle turn applique pieces and it worked very well.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions and as I see it, everyone uses a rainbow of widths! I get the part about the batting thickness and all, but if most are using warm/ natural type, why the difference in widths? This is where I wouldn't know how to figure out my seam allowance.

As far as joining the 2 end pieces...I was following Sharon Schamber's video, but I screw up. I had plenty of binding, but I guess I didn't leave an "open" enough space left unsewn?? I don't know really. Anyway, the binding that I took off looks like crap with all of the dried glue all over it! lol It also didn't stick well for me, so I guess I am lucky for that. Since the small wall hanging that I was trying to bind had an appliqued rag flag on it, I just decided to clip the edges and let it be my border. I hate only being able to make raggy stuff!

Oh, how I long to know how to hand stitch anything down!! I have tons of books and tried to watch videos, but either I can't get the image right in my head, or I can't see "exactly" where they are putting the tip pf the needle, etc. When I have tried with some little things, the stitching is awful, and some you can see and some you can't. Another epic fail.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Thanks for all of the suggestions and as I see it, everyone uses a rainbow of widths! I get the part about the batting thickness and all, but if most are using warm/ natural type, why the difference in widths? This is where I wouldn't know how to figure out my seam allowance.

As far as joining the 2 end pieces...I was following Sharon Schamber's video, but I screw up. I had plenty of binding, but I guess I didn't leave an "open" enough space left unsewn?? I don't know really. Anyway, the binding that I took off looks like crap with all of the dried glue all over it! lol It also didn't stick well for me, so I guess I am lucky for that. Since the small wall hanging that I was trying to bind had an appliqued rag flag on it, I just decided to clip the edges and let it be my border. I hate only being able to make raggy stuff!

Oh, how I long to know how to hand stitch anything down!! I have tons of books and tried to watch videos, but either I can't get the image right in my head, or I can't see "exactly" where they are putting the tip pf the needle, etc. When I have tried with some little things, the stitching is awful, and some you can see and some you can't. Another epic fail.
I didn't see anyone mention this but you might also try self-binding. I'm pretty new at quilting and my bindings are far from perfect - but I keep working on it. Last week, I tried self-binding a quilt. It isn't as durable but it also wasn't as hard. Here is a link to a tutorial and I'm sure you can find others. One thing, this one talks about hand sewing, but once you get to that step, you could also just machine stitch on the front - either with matching thread on a mono-filament.
http://carinascraftblog.wardi.dk/201...ing-quilt.html
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I love to sit and sew the binding on....I also cut 2 1/2 " strips, fold in half length wise, sew to front with 1/4 " seam allowance, then hand stitch to the back side.

I have made my strips smaller, but I like the 2 1/2" size.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
OK. Go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe see if you can find the video on binding that I did.
But to answer your question. When you are doing patchwor and the blocks come out to the edge of the qult you normally have only 1/4 inch seam allowance for your binding. If you have a border then you have have a 1/4" or larger. I do borders so my allowance is 3/8"
Generally, for a 3/8" seam allowance I cut the binding 2.1/4" and double it. For a 1/4" seam allowance, about 2" is sufficient. As a general guide your cut binding for a double fold binding is 6 times the width of your seam allowance. But you have to adjust to make sure this is ok as sometimes it is too wide for me.
Look for the QuiltersTV show I did on bindings. I believe you will find it helpful. Having sai all this, you will find each quilt has his or her favorite method of binding so don't be confused because they all work. f course, my instructions are the best....lol.
Holice, love your heart!
That is an awesome site and I had no clue anything like that existed! It is still loading, so I figured I would take a sec to respond to your post. That is what I needed to know, what width to use. I always have too much! Oh! And we won't even discuss blanket stitching or the like...it never works out for me and boy they are hard to rip out!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
That is how I do it too.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM

When I am binding a quilt.....I cut 3" strips enough to go around the quilt. Fold the 3" strip in 1/2 and sew the raw edges together..this is a 1/4" seam......I leave the last 4"open for joining. Take the now 1 1/2" strip the open end.......I lay it on the front of the quilt at the outer edge. I have the 1/4" seam to follow as I stitch. I pin to the 1st corner because I am going to stop there. As I get to the corner....I have made sure there is no extra slack in the binding......I sew to the 1/4 away from the corner. I use the back stitch 3 stitches. I pin at the 1/4" so I know where to stop. My pin follows the angle I want to maintain like I want the miter to go. I fold the fabric of the binding back over its self....FORM an L...BE SURE the corner is square with the edge of the corner of the quilt. This is where the problem gets us. The binding needs to be square with the corner of the quilt. The long side of the L is where you were previously sewing. The short side of the L is the binding folded back to the right. Then I mark with a straight pin where I want to start sewing on the corner.... This is also pinning just like I want the angle to be, leaving the 1/4 " open. I stitch 3 stitches and back stitch 2 stitches. Make something small to practice on Go slow, IT is only fabric...not arms and legs.....You can do it. It is up to you 2 1/4" or 3". This is how I was taught. Maintain that pretty L in the binding and you should have no problem. I had a great teacher and I do good work so please.....NO QUILT POLICE
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM

When I am binding a quilt.....I cut 3" strips enough to go around the quilt. Fold the 3" strip in 1/2 and sew the raw edges together..this is a 1/4" seam......I leave the last 4"open for joining. Take the now 1 1/2" strip the open end.......I lay it on the front of the quilt at the outer edge. I have the 1/4" seam to follow as I stitch. I pin to the 1st corner because I am going to stop there. As I get to the corner....I have made sure there is no extra slack in the binding......I sew to the 1/4 away from the corner. I use the back stitch 3 stitches. I pin at the 1/4" so I know where to stop. My pin follows the angle I want to maintain like I want the miter to go. I fold the fabric of the binding back over its self....FORM an L...BE SURE the corner is square with the edge of the corner of the quilt. This is where the problem gets us. The binding needs to be square with the corner of the quilt. The long side of the L is where you were previously sewing. The short side of the L is the binding folded back to the right. Then I mark with a straight pin where I want to start sewing on the corner.... This is also pinning just like I want the angle to be, leaving the 1/4 " open. I stitch 3 stitches and back stitch 2 stitches. Make something small to practice on Go slow, IT is only fabric...not arms and legs.....You can do it. It is up to you 2 1/4" or 3". This is how I was taught. Maintain that pretty L in the binding and you should have no problem. I had a great teacher and I do good work so please.....NO QUILT POLICE