Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! >

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM

OH NO A DOUBLE POST>>>MY APOLOGIES.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
Ditto...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM

I cut my binding 2 3/4 in and fold in half. That extra 1/4" which is really only 1/8 " really makes turning binding easier. Also I sew mine on the back and turn to the front and then sew. also I make my corners slightly rounded since I can not seem to get miter corrners right by top stitching on the front. Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Oh, how I long to know how to hand stitch anything down!! I have tons of books and tried to watch videos, but either I can't get the image right in my head, or I can't see "exactly" where they are putting the tip pf the needle, etc. When I have tried with some little things, the stitching is awful, and some you can see and some you can't. Another epic fail.
This tutorial shows the exact placement of the needle when hand stitching the binding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wdC1_1_cx0 I do it backward from this tutorial, but that probably explains a lot! We've probably bombarded you with suggestions, but when in doubt Google it. Attach the word "tutorial" to any quilting term and you'll come up with all kinds of stuff to peruse. Some work better with a video, some like step-by-step photos. Whatever sinks in!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM

I had trouble for quite awhile with too much binding folding to the back of my quilt. The front and back were obviously uneven (wider on the back than front) and that bugged me. I was cutting my strips at 2 1/2". I tried using 2" strips and that worked really well for just barely covering the stitches when folded to the back. I pretty much use the same kind of batting with all my quilts so thickness doesn't vary much at all from quilt to quilt.

As for hand stitching, it is hard to describe. The link that Chele posted for Dreamweavers tutorial is a good one. It has really clear pictures. It's the site I found when I was trying to figure out how to hand stitch binding.

I wish I was closer because I would gladly help you with both binding and FMQ. I'm not perfect at either but I've come a long ways with both since I first started quilting. But alas, KY is quite a ways from MS. :)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!!
Oh, gee, wish I could sit with you and play. Shelley has a bunch of great info here: http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting...ding/index.htm

Breathe deep and relax, play with scraps first.

piney
Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM

This site really helped me to understand about bindings. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

http://quiltersden.ca/wp-content/upl...t-Binding2.pdf
Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 AM

I cut the strips 2 3/4" x # of strips to go around + 15", fold and press, sew to quilt with 3/8" seam allowance (the width of my even feed presser foot). The best quilter's helper I've found is the Fons & Porter book "Quilter's complete guide to quilting". Although I use a wider seam allowance because I like a wider binding, the method is the same. I've had my book for many years and still refer to it from time to time. Try it on a small project and see how you like it.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 AM

I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!
I do this in reverse -stitch to back and fold to front - completely machine stitched.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 AM

I do this in reverse -stitch to back and fold to front - completely machine stitched.