Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of batting do you use?

I am a hand quilter and I like the Hobbs 80/20 and the Legacy 80/20, but also battings made of 100% cotton - Tuscany, Legacy or Quilters Dream.
    I prefer an antique look with a nice drape, so cotton or cotton blend is a good choice for me.

Warm and Natural, Warm and White or Hobbs 80/20

I like bamboo, but only when I have a coupon. Mostly I use warm n natural. But, I just got some wool batting the my longarm instructor suggested. She said its all she uses. It has a really nice feel and shrinkage is the about the same as warm n natural.

It depends on the project. My quilts use Warm and White or Warm and Natural. When I make a bag or a jacket I use fusible. It makes life a lot easier. I am making a string quilt right now that I am using the fusible.

Mostly use warn & natural, on occassions have used 80/20 for a thiner batting in table runners & etc.

Blog Entries
    Have been following the thread on Machine Trapunto and she uses a poly batting and lots of stipple around the design. I would think you would want a high loft poly batting but then wonder if it would be difficult to quilt or beard when finished. Would want to avoid either. Anyone know for sure?

Blog Entries
    Crazy quilts don't require any batting. I have used it for Christmas stockings, but that is all!

I usually use Warm & Natural, and never have a problem with the quilt feeling stiff. On comfort quilts I'm often given polyester, and on one of my own quilts I used a wool batt. I don't like the feel of the polyester that I've received and would much rather use wool or cotton or a blend.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I use Fairfield 80/20 which works well with heavy quilting and is lightweight enough in my climate. Poly is OK for baby quilts but I've yet to find a basting spray that works with it (please tell me what kind to use, guys!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann912
    I like warm and natural and 80/20.
    That is what I use

Since all my quilts stay within the family or with close friends I sometimes use very thick felt. If stays flat and doesn't bunch up like batting does to me.

I use warm and natural and flannel for my quilts but for any other projects like table runners etc I use polyester batting.

I used the Warm and Natural -- and I, too, thought it was pretty stiff, maybe though because I had quite a bit of quilting on that particular quilt. Has anyone else had a problem though with the Poly batting, coming "THROUGH" the fabric when laundered. Ooohhh....I don't like that. Which of the poly-type, is best, I wonder.

Cotton seems to work best for machine quilting, it has to be quilted close together. It's also warmer if you're actually using the quilt for sleeping. It doesn't move as much as polyester.

Cotton seems to work best for machine quilting, it has to be quilted close together. It's also warmer if you're actually using the quilt for sleeping. It doesn't move as much as polyester.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Libby
    I used the Warm and Natural -- and I, too, thought it was pretty stiff, maybe though because I had quite a bit of quilting on that particular quilt. Has anyone else had a problem though with the Poly batting, coming "THROUGH" the fabric when laundered. Ooohhh....I don't like that. Which of the poly-type, is best, I wonder.
    Try a Quilter's Dream poly next time. It behaves like cotton.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I like the feel of warm and natural or warm and white but I don't overquilt mine (which imho is what makes them stiff). Recently, I started working with Hobbs 80/20. Haven't done a full quilt with it yet, so the jury is still out.
    The two quilts I used Warm & Natural in were tied.
    Did you wash them? Mine are all floppy and soft. Weird.

Blog Entries
    Love Warm & Natural. It's stiff before washing and drying but very soft after.

when I used poly batting I had problems with it coming through after being washed

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    Hobbs 80/20

Blog Entries
    have to go with Warm and Natural I haven't tried anything else

I use the fat fluffy polyester batting for my very young granddaughter who likes puffy, fluffy things. For all other quilts, I use only 100% cotton batting.

I am considering making some table runners, small wall hangings and similar crafts using the recycled-green-bottle batting to help out with the recycling industry's efforts.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angiecub
    Thanks for all of your responses. Now where do you buy the Hobbs 80/20 (and is that 80%cotton, 20% poly) and where do get dream cotton? Never heard of either of these. I have used some 80/20, but I don't remember the brand name.
    I buy my batting by the roll at http://www.storesonline.com/site/battmart

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i started a 'batting-journal' to figure out what battings i like best for different projects. when ever i see a new batt i have not tried before i get one. I cut a 4"x6" rectangle from the batt and add it to my journal. I write the name of the batt, where it came from. the price. the properties, the care instructions, and how far apart you are supposed to quilt it. After i use the batt i add what i used it for, how i liked it, how it behaved during quilting, anything else i want to remember about it...and i add pictures if i feel the need. that way if i see a batt i am not sure about i can check to see if it is one i tried once and hated...or if it was one that was really nice to work with.
    I love wool batts best but they are expensive and not always appropriate. i usually use poly or poly/cotton blend batts for kids and utility quilts that will take alot of abuse and get laundered alot. for quilts that may still be used regularly but wont be really abused i like a good cotton if i don't want to put out the extra $$ for wool or silk. I also like the bamboo blend batts. i like to try new ones as they become available. the new "green-batt's " hold up well to much abuse and are good for kids quilts. they are usually inexpensive and they are made out of recycled materials. they wash up well ...the only down side i found with them was.....they are green,,,, so not so great if you have a quilt with a lot of white....anyway--- try them all as you are able...and make a journal it may prove to be a valuable tool.
    Wow, ckcowl, you are very organized and professional. I am a newbie only on my third batting type (went batty last weekend over fusibles) and I would like to know what you think about:
    1. super lightweight poly fiber - I bought some and I thought it was very uneven in thickness and I'm taking it back
    2. wool- I am curious about weight of wool versus cotton - I assume poly is lighter than both, but for bedding quilts there is probably a preference for/against heavy bedding.
    Thank you
    Sue

I LOVE wool for bed quilts and throws. It has great loft when machine quilting without the look of polyester. I press my bindings over the edge of the quilt, so I don't use poly battings which compress/melt together with heat. I use Warm & Natural or White for table toppers. I once used Hobbs 80/20 when it was sold at Joann's, but it is more expensive at Hancock Fabrics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast