Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What kind of batting do you use?

warm and natural all cotton. Love it!

Blog Entries
    I use mostly cotton, or 80% cotton 20% poly. I have used the recycled bottles(green) want to try wool and bamboo.

I have used poly the most because of the price. Not long ago I used a cotten and loved the way it draped. Cotton is very breathable out here in Arizona. I would love to try bambo, but the cost has stoped me so far.

Depends on what I am working on. I have used warm and natural, Betty Cotton batting, fusible batting and battilizer batting.

I use Polyester. My family likes the way that it holds in the warmth and it is light. I have a few quilts that I used warm and natural and they complain the quilt is too heavy.

I have only usedthe poly just because of price. Would love to try the wool sometime, but just cant afford any right now.
    Warm and Natural looks nice, going to try it too, but I mostly hand quilt.

Having worked at a long arm quilting studio I have probably used every kind of batting possible,blankets, to wool to minkee. For my personal use, I love Quilter's Dream. They make all kinds of batts-cotton, blends, poly, bamboo, etc. For large quilts I prefer cotton. For childrens quilts I use a blend. Childrens quilts should contain at least some poly. Good luck-there are so many options!

I personally did not like working with the polyester batting the few times I used it. It was donated and we used it on charity quilts. I learned using warm and natural and that is my preference.

I like warm and natural

Quote Originally Posted by betsey
    Having worked at a long arm quilting studio I have probably used every kind of batting possible,blankets, to wool to minkee. For my personal use, I love Quilter's Dream. They make all kinds of batts-cotton, blends, poly, bamboo, etc. For large quilts I prefer cotton. For childrens quilts I use a blend. Childrens quilts should contain at least some poly. Good luck-there are so many options!
    Just curious on why children's quilts should contain at least some poly??? :?:
    thanks!!

Blog Entries
    I typically use Warm and Natural. I love the way it feels after it's been quilted. I've never had a problem with it feeling stiff.

That being said, when I was at the Lancaster show this past weekend, I did buy 3 different battings, one of them was the bamboo, and I bought some sample packs that have tons of variety. I'm going to try them all in minis.

I use a combo of both, Hobbs 80/20

I have used poly, 80/20 and 50/50. I for my personal ones like the 50/50. I long arm a lot of charity quilts and they use the poly. The very first one I did I started out with a lot of bearding on the back 1st row, put in a new needle and since always check the needle and haven't had any more problems with it on any batts. Am planning on doing one with Deam wool just to check it out.

the one that is made out of bottles

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I'm currently trying cotton/bamboo for the first time on a quilt with a dark brown backing and it's a disaster: the quilt is covered with fluff from the batting and it's coming through to the surface when I pull the threads through. Not happy.
    I had the same problem with the cotton/bamboo batting on a quilt. I am thinking of tearing it apart and using a different batting because I really love the quilt. I am not looking foward to the task of getting all the fluff off of the quilt top. Thought I would wait until the weather is warmer and dryer so I can keep the mess outside. Won't use bamboo batting again, to be sure.

I do like the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, though.

The batting I use depends on the project. If it's a kid's quilt or it's going to get a lot of washing, I like Hobbs 80/20 or Quilters Dream poly.

If it's for my bed and I am machine quilting it, I like Quilters Dream wool. It is thick, soft, and very warm, but sooooooo light. I have arthritis and I can't stand anything too heavy weighing on me.

If I am hand quilting it, I like Quilters Dream cotton Request--their thinnest lightest cotton. If I'm machine quilting, I like Quilters Dream cotton Select or Deluxe--their thicker cotton batting.

If it's going to hang in a quilt show, I like Warm n Natural--it isn't as drapey and the edges stay nice and crisp.

I detest silk batting, even though it quilted up beautifully. It caught on everything-- my clothes, my nails, my wedding ring--I had tufts of it all over the room. Looked like I worked in a Q-tip factory!

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    The batting I use depends on the project. If it's a kid's quilt or it's going to get a lot of washing, I like Hobbs 80/20 or Quilters Dream poly.
    Here is another vote for poly in kids quilts. I have never heard this before. Is it durability? warmth? fire resistance? :?:

I use Hobbs 80/20 on all the quilts I do, unless someone supplies their own.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4