Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What kind of "quarters" do you prefer?

I seem to be collecting fat quarters. I like them because I can get a large variety for not too much money. It seems the quilts I have been making lately need a large variety of fabrics. I recently made 2 quilts in 2 different classes that used almost all my leftovers. They were very scrappy.
    Sue

Depends on the project but sometimes you can get a quarter yd cut cheaper than a fat quarter. Go figure!

Depends on the project I am doing which type of quarter I use. However, I actually prefer the monetary kind! :-)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    If you want me to choose, I would buy a large fat 18 x 22. Now, if I know what I need and am doing I will only by a 1/4 yard of fabric so I can get the project done because some stores only sell fabric that way.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Yeah, depends on the project, and I agree with "auntpiggylpn" on costs...but usually I'll buy a 1/2 yard > cut it in half to make 2 FQ > use one FQ for a project and add the extra to my stash. Our guild is always doing some project that uses/trades FQ's.

All of the above!

I never buy fat quarters of any size. I only buy yardage.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

For me it's about the size of the scrap left. If you cut one 2.5 inch strip from a WOF quarter then you have a strip 6.5 left over. I can cut two strips 2.5 inches from a fat quarter to equal one WOF strip and still have a piece of fabric 13 inches wide. That's a lot more useful scrap size.

I have a friend that did art type quilts for a while and she pretty much only bought WOF quarters and when she quit doing art quilts I got a lot of her stash. It just isn't as useful and the scraps left from cutting squares is even less useful.

I think it depends. I like fats for a lot of stuff, particularly cutting squares, but I like linear if I am making a small quilt and want to make a narrow binding. Oh, and I love the jingle of the silver ones.

Anita in Northfield, MN

I agree, it depends on what you are doing. I am more prone/attracted to picture or art-type of quilts which the fat quarters are handier say to cut a little lady's dress to be appliqued, or a house, or odd shaped pieces of a background. If I do buy WOF, then I get 1/2 yd and essentially have 2 FQ's, then I can go either way. If it is just a neat fabric in a pre-cut FQ, then I will pick it up to add to my stash. Wmart sells the FQ's for 97 cents each, unless you buy a matched sequence, in which case it is $7.84 for 5 FQ pieces. And since their big remodel, even the pre-cuts seem better quality.

Mary
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I love fat quarters. I use the skinny strips for dresden wedges when making plates. But FQ's give you more fabric to work with.

I like linear quarters for some things, but I use many, many fat quarters. I like to be able to stack and cut several layers at once. I do a lot of scrappy look quilts and fat quarters allow me to be so versatile.

Quarter of a pie, quarter of a cake, all of the pitcher of margaritas!

I like to use fat quarters,when the project allows it...there are so many different choices in a package, I like to cut them into sizes I need, Skinney are useful too, along with jellyrolls, gee now I am getting hungry....
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

It depends on what I am doing, cutting strips I usually like the 9x44 (watching girl carefully to see that it is 9 inches at both the selvage and the fold) I use the 18x22 if I am cuting squares or triangles.

I find that when I have a choice, I purchase the linear quarters. It seems that the size works out better for me than fat quarters.

Love the fat quarters as I make a lot of fabric gift bags, and sometimes need the width. Of course, if I have lots and lots of monetary quarters I'm able to buy more fabric to make more gift bags...it's a win, win situation!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, but what is a linear FQ?
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Fat quarters 18x22 all the way. I throw 9x44 inch pieces in with scraps or cut them into 2 1/2 in. strips. I normally make entire quilts out of fat quarters 18x22.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I think fqs are more versatile...but for going to Vegas, I'm going with the "coinage"...
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Definately fat quarters as I do mostly little quilts

aside from my love affair with FQs, I have been "commissioned" to collect State quarters while I'm in the good ol' USA ... I have 9 so far {giggle}
    Liz / Calgary

i am a fat quarters person

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    What do you prefer, or find more useful?

Fat quarters (18" x 22") ?

Linear quarters (9" x 44") ?

Or the monetary kind? - Sorry, just *had* to include this choice too! :-)

Well this is interesting, what people think when it comes to fat quarters. Personally I am not a shopper of fat quarters on any description. This isn't to say I don't have any of them as I do buy the occassional FQ however on the whole I think fat Quarters are not cost effective and so I will buy at least a 1/2 metre of something I like and a whole metre or more of anything I really like

Not much help I'm afraid LOL
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    - John Lennon

I buy FQ's when the pattern calls for a layer cake. I can buy 40 cheap FQ's for about the cost of a layer cake and have 2 layer cakes, 4 charm packs and a half strip jelly roll for the same money. I'm making snuggle quilts, not heirlooms, so I love FQs at Joann's when they are on sale for 99 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2