Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilts do you like to make? >

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM

wow, Sue, that's an awesome design!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks Scraps!
Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
wow, Sue, that's an awesome design!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM

Hi Mellie,

I know what you mean about being a newbie. My first class was a hand quilting class because I didn't know there was any other way to do it! Also, I would have failed my sewing class in high school if my sister didn't do my projects at home for me. We all start somewhere but I am amazed that so-called designers can make a living by changing the color of a traditional pattern and call it their own. I'm sure you will be able to do some of the more complicated patterns when you put your mind to it. Have fun and good luck!
Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
I am a fairly new quilter, and the simple patterns can be less daunting to a newbie. Having not grown up around quilting (or sewing) some of the very basic squares are foreign to me... (it is so funny when you realize how easy a pattern/square really is once you know how it goes together). That being said, I think the more difficult/original patterns have their place as well. I cant wait to be able to make some!! :) Keep up the great work of designing!!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 AM

I'm a fairly new quilter although I've been sewing for over 40 years. My Mother gave me about 50 quilt magazines and I've been tearing out the patterns I like. After going through about half of them, I'm noticing the patterns repeat; however, being somewhat challenged by coordinating fabrics, it does help to see the same design in different color combinations. But I know what you mean. Unique designs really do jump out because they're . . . well . . . unique from what magazines typically publish.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by larkspurlanedesigns
This is the kind of quilt I like to design. I don't use any traditional blocks when I design since I don't think I would enjoy making half square triangles, square in a square or Ohio Stars over and over again but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it.
Well, it's quite simple really. Tastes are different and a lot of people do like the traditional designs. Just because you don't like to look at them or to make them, does not automatically make them boring. Frankly a sentence like "but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it" seems dangerously close to being arrogant.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 AM

Personally,I'm heading in the other direction.Loved the more complicated patterns back in the day & enjoyed making my own version of a quilt seen in a pic or adv.
Now that I've made most of the old standards & no longer want 20 sqs all alike, I'm into simple & get it done.There are only so many shapes,sqs,circles HSTs etc.
Regardless of how new a pattern looks to be,almost surely it's made of sqs,rectangles & triangles.That fact alone limits designs.JMO
Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 AM

Thats exactly why I discontinued most of my subscriptions to quilt magazines.
I like making different types of quilts, depending on my mood that day! thats why I have so many UFO's!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 AM

I started quilting when I was 6 yrs. old, am now 74. I guess I am challenged but I still need a pattern to make a quilt. I still have problems with colors ( shame on me). I have been told everytime I make a quilt (whether true or not) that it is beautiful. I have no problem selling all I make. The problem is I want to keep them all. So to all out there who can't design a quilt, just be like me, keep depending on all the people who design and sell beautiful patterns. I still see quilt patterns from years ago that I did not make and all of a sudden I like them and want to make them. I like to make all quilts.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 AM

Joy, your avatar is beautiful. BTW...I also want to keep my quilts LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 AM

I love the traditional designs, I just don't want to make them. Its been done and done again but to do a traditional design in a new fabric line and then call it a NEW design is ridiculous.
Originally Posted by Thusnelda
Originally Posted by larkspurlanedesigns
This is the kind of quilt I like to design. I don't use any traditional blocks when I design since I don't think I would enjoy making half square triangles, square in a square or Ohio Stars over and over again but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it.
Well, it's quite simple really. Tastes are different and a lot of people do like the traditional designs. Just because you don't like to look at them or to make them, does not automatically make them boring. Frankly a sentence like "but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it" seems dangerously close to being arrogant.