Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilts do you like to make? >

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 AM

I bought a magazine that used the central square fabric that I have on hand. Though the pattern was nice I did not have all the materials. So I used the photo as an idea starter, then used another design that would help me use the fabric I have on hand as I did not want to throw any more money or time into the project. Sometimes there is a limit, but that limit forces creativity....plus I got a one of a kind quilt out of it. I did have to purchase one more strip of backing.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 AM

I like Trearureit's ideas. Maybe even find a group locally that would like to work at making new patterns. If you have EQ maybe you can teach someonelse how to use it and you can be creative together.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 AM

This is such a good discussion. Shows that quilt making is an art, and the artist creates that which satisfies the soul.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 AM

That's why I love this board! Different folks ... different opinions! I LOVE reading a variety of information about quiltmaking, but tend to choose what is pretty, quick and easy. I enjoy quilting, but have limited time, so I want to get it done! I do love a variety of color, but my Mom, who is 89, constantly reminds me ... "quilting is using what you have and making something warm and useful from it!" She is my inspiration!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 AM

most patterns have been around for years just named different at times don't like them you can create your own
Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM

I have to state my opinion after reading some of the comments here. Good topic. I am brand-new to quilting, having recently retired and having more free time to pursue something I've always wanted to do. I search the Internet, books, and this board to get ideas. You have to have a place to start. To me, quilting is about accomplishing something that is pleasing to you, no matter how simple or complicated: choosing colors that you like and hoping they go together -- they don't always, even though you think they will -- and learning from each mistake you make in building that quilt. I enjoy the more simple styles, not too busy, and don't feel I will ever have the expertise to do some of things I see here, no matter how long I live. It's supposed to be fun! Do what YOU like and what appeals to you.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 AM

I have been quilting about 5 years, and while I'm not great, I am a good piecer. The magazines now bore me, as you say, it's the same patterns over and over, just different colors. I am stretching into applique. I like the look of some piece work w/ some applique. It seems doable. Applique scares me. How to do it, can I wash it?? Or eve, embroidery in a "regular" quilt.
Yep, that's my take.
Sue
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 AM

Scrappeeeeeeee!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 AM

I read your own homepages too!
We need innovative quilters like you, who add to the diversity of our large creative quilting world!!!
I am 81, and have seen endless variations of only a few patterns - like now - log cabins! Hardly even other old traditional Irish chain or ohio stars to be seen lately - and those are easy too!
In fact, this really happened to me recently!
In the past, I gave boxes of odds and ends of scraps to a younger friend who loved to just sit in front of her machine and sew and sew and sew! She gave me a queen -out-of-the-paper-bag choices log cabin top. Ik!!!! - it was so ugly!!!! LOL!!! So after putting it over a sofa and looking at it for about two weeks, I resolved that it was going out of my house! So I took it to a sit and sew. and gave it to a fellow quilter who does a lot of charity quilts. Everyone there proclaimed it "beautiful"!! LOL~!
Honestly, every time I protested saying "but it is REALLY UGLY!" They shouted me down!
I, like you like to make one-of-a-kind quilts!
What do you think? Should we holler louder too???
Keep up the creative designs!!!
Jeannie
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Yes, yes, yes!! Holler louder and longer!! Thanks Jeannie!
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I read your own homepages too!
We need innovative quilters like you, who add to the diversity of our large creative quilting world!!!
I am 81, and have seen endless variations of only a few patterns - like now - log cabins! Hardly even other old traditional Irish chain or ohio stars to be seen lately - and those are easy too!
In fact, this really happened to me recently!
In the past, I gave boxes of odds and ends of scraps to a younger friend who loved to just sit in front of her machine and sew and sew and sew! She gave me a queen -out-of-the-paper-bag choices log cabin top. Ik!!!! - it was so ugly!!!! LOL!!! So after putting it over a sofa and looking at it for about two weeks, I resolved that it was going out of my house! So I took it to a sit and sew. and gave it to a fellow quilter who does a lot of charity quilts. Everyone there proclaimed it "beautiful"!! LOL~!
Honestly, every time I protested saying "but it is REALLY UGLY!" They shouted me down!
I, like you like to make one-of-a-kind quilts!
What do you think? Should we holler louder too???
Keep up the creative designs!!!
Jeannie