Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What kind of starch do you use?

I do realize that starch is very importent....
    The niagara is expensive for me (out of US) so I use it only on "top quality" quilts....others wise....whatever I can find or make
    The more you starch, the stiffer it will get...and it does make a lot of difference and easier to quilt on.....
    Good question

I used to use Niagra only. Then I discovered liquid starch at Wal Mart. I now use it - it is SO much cheaper. I have not even used a whole bottle yet. I put some in a spray bottle (maybe 4 oz) and fill the rest with water, use half of it and then refill with water. It lasts a long time and does a good job. I iron my fabric and my clothes with it. Never had it go bad. Obviously, the more starch in the bottle the stiffer the fabric.

what do you mean - go bad ?

I just discovered Mary Ellen's Best Press. I got the Lavender scent at my LQS and really like it. Nice crisp feel to the fabric and no flaking. I paid a little over 8 dollars and just found out that one of the other LQS's will refill for $5. They usually carry 2 or 3 scents. I have had mine for about 1 month and haven't used even half of it yet.

I used liquid make it yourself starch when I was doing a convergence quilt of Ricky Tims. My lines were so much straighter and the intersections really met well. I was very pleased with the result.

Just found the Mary Ellens gallon size on Amazon for $29.39 + $6.95 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12522627...s%2Ci%3Agarden

I usually use Niagra. No specific reason, it just what I always used.

That's a really good price. Although I wasn't buying any (recently bought my gallon elsewhere), I went through the steps to see what the final price would be. The link through Amazon is for joann's, so I would have to pay tax as they have stores in NY. Total price, with shipping and tax, was a little over $39.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by funquilter
    what do you mean - go bad ?
    I have had Sta-Flo starch get moldy after being mixed with water and left out for days. It would probably last longer in the frig.

Faultless, lavender scent,heavy starch just makes your iron flow makes ironing fun if possible. :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I had cut many 5-inch squares and then decided they would be nicer and better if I sized or starched them.

Maybe I got them too wet, at any rate, when I ironed them they stretched a bit.

So - is there a "proper" way to use spray starch/sizing?

When I was a kid, the whole garment was immersed in the starch mixture - remember that little blue wax thing that was melted in it? - and then hung out to dry - don't remember if that just hand-wrung or put through the wringers again.
    If I'm going to starch fabric, I always starch before cutting. If I'm starching a large piece of fabric (say, for a backing), I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water, lay the fabric on my kitchen island, and use a wall painting brush to saturate the fabric. I toss it in the dryer, and then iron with steam. It would work being hung out to dry too.

Quote Originally Posted by estherblair
    Faultless, lavender scent,heavy starch just makes your iron flow makes ironing fun if possible. :D :D :D

I had a bad experience with this battle.... It wasn't spraying...there was plenty of foam getting out of it anytime I squeezed......

I use Faultless, I love the crispness it gives the blocks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3