Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of starch do you use? >

What kind of starch do you use?

What kind of starch do you use?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Hi, Niagra now makes a spray bottle of their starch that is environmentally friendly. There is also Linit Starch that comes in a big container that is in the grocery store. You mix it to the strenth desired and put it in a spray bottle that you can get at the dollar store. Hope this is helpful.

Ellis' Granny B
Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 AM

I use Best Press Lavender.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I use the Mary Ellen's Best Press lavender for my qulting. I buy it at Mill End for $4.50 plus tax. Try some of the discount fabric stores. They are much more reasonable on things like this.

Remember that fabric has more threads running the legnth and so that is the most stable way to press/iron. But, if you do iron the width go with the grain. I hope this helps you keep the fabric from going wonky on you from now on.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM

I have used both. I preferr any store brand liquid starch mixed 50-50 in a spray bottle. This does not stick to my iron or make the skin on my fingers peel.

I get better coverage for quite a bit less money.

If I want it stiffer I just use a little more liquid starch. I starch everything and I try to make my fabric really stiff.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Mary Ellen's Best Press Lavender
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I have found Sta-Flo liquid starch in the detergent section of grocery store sold in a 2 qt light blue bottle. Contents--water, corn starch, borax, processing aids, preservative, ironing aid, and perfume. No color added
Directions on label given to mix the how much "starch" you desire. I usually use a 1:1 ratio
I mix as desired and put in a spray bottle. Once in a while the spray nozzle will dry up if I haven't used it in a while, but a quick soak of the sprayer in the sink remedies that problem.
My sister, a nurse, used this years ago to starch her cap--remember when nurses wore caps! :lol:
Hope you can find it and give it a try. A lot less expensive and don't have to mess with a pressurized can!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/18816.page

there was a thread on this issue a while back. and i think a while back from then, too. :lol: :lol: . it's an everlasting question.

i make my own starch, from liquid, 50/50, and spray everything all the time,
on the wrong side.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Originally Posted by LindaR
I use the quilters starch from Mary Ellen Best Press, I always starch a block when I'm done with it. Gives such a crisp look
Same here, altho it can be a bit pricey I only use it for my quilting material. Love it!!
I love the way the starch handles on the fabric but I hate the way it comes out of the spray bottle - more spatter on the wall than on the fabric - BIG DROPS TOO! :cry:
Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 AM

I've used it in a can but I tried mixing my own... spray bottle + corn starch & water... Haven't used this homemade mixture enough to say whether it is just as good. I got the idea because I replaced my cooking spray with a spray bottle with Oil. I don't remember the measurements. I watered it down about 2x more than making gravy... if that makes sense. LOL.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM

I found I can purchase Niagara at the $ stores. Seems to be the same quality as I get from other stores for the same brand.