Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thimbles work best for you? >

What kind of thimbles work best for you?

What kind of thimbles work best for you?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

I use the leather thimble by Clover. I really like how thick it is so the needle isn't sticking me. I found a leather thimble in Paducah at the quilt show years ago, it was the best one I ever had, but I wore it out.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've struggled with thimbles also. I think I own one of every kind made. My problem is I don't use them for hand quilting, I use them for sewing, and I push the needle with the side of my finger, not the tip. I was using the black leather ones for a while, but the seams were on the side of my finger where I push, so sometimes the head of the needle would pop through the seam. Now I'm using a leather thimble made by Clover, the seams land on the top of my finger. So far I like this one best, although I can tell I'm eventually going to wear a hole through the side.

I think my next best thimble is the cone-shaped one I purchased from the Thimble Lady. Just takes some getting used to, I guess.

JReadman, I checked out that sealskin thimble and cannot imagine how you use it! Is that fur on the outside? How can you tell where your needle and thread are? Can you post a picture of yours, the one on that website is kind of hard to see because it's so small.

Here you go ~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]325663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]325664[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]325665[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1000407.jpg   p1000408.jpg   p1000412.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Oh Wow! I had forgotten that I bought one of those when we visited Alaska a couple years ago. I haven't used it yet. I'll have to find it and give it a try. I just thought it was a really neat souvenir.
Originally Posted by JReadman View Post
Here you go ~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]325663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]325664[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]325665[/ATTACH]
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
I have yet to find the perfect thimble...my fingers are wide at the end...they do not taper like most peoples. So have a hard time finding one I like to wear. Have not been using one much lately and when I do, I use a metal one that is a bit big so the tip of my finger is not smashed till it hurts. I also have use the leather thimble that is actually shaped like a metal thimble. It has a metal end...I really like it but the metal came loose and fell out.

I thimbles are hard to find that fit a finger that isn't straight or has arthritis in them. I just keep looking and buying hoping to find one I can use.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM

JReadman, thanks for posting the pics! Now I understand how those thimbles work.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
JReadman, thanks for posting the pics! Now I understand how those thimbles work.
You're welcome!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 AM

I use the old fashioned stainless steel thimbles. When a friend's mother passed, he gave me her complete set of thimbles. One evening one slipped off my finger and landed on the carpet. DH did not see it and stepped on it, bending it slightly and changing the shape from perfectly round to almost oval. That was the exact shape of my finger! It has never slipped off again and I guard it like gold.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by SandScraps View Post
I use the old fashioned stainless steel thimbles. When a friend's mother passed, he gave me her complete set of thimbles. One evening one slipped off my finger and landed on the carpet. DH did not see it and stepped on it, bending it slightly and changing the shape from perfectly round to almost oval. That was the exact shape of my finger! It has never slipped off again and I guard it like gold.
I remember a woman saying her mom used to run her new thimbles over with her car to get the right shape. I've considered doing this!

I found my Thimble Lady cone thimble yesterday. Tried it on and immediately remembered why I don't use it. The cone is shaped perfectly for my finger, but the indentations for the needle are on the bottom of the cone, where the pad of my finger is. I push the needle with the side of my finger, and the cone is smooth in that spot.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM

I can't help you with this one. I'm still not comfortable using a thimble. I keep trying but a thimble only seems to get in my way. Guess I'll keep trying and maybe one day...........
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM

I too, use a leather thimble, by Blue Ribbon Notions, the one with the elastic band to keep it on