Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a shop "worth" going to???? >

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM

I have visited quilt shops when out of town(sometimes camping) so maybe I don't look like I have as much money as other customers so I get annoyed that I am being ignored! That happened at a quilt shop in WA. state but won't say which town. Sometimes all I have to do is go in and walk around and can tell if it is my type of quilting fabric or not. But I do appreciate being acknowledged that I am in the store and maybe could use some help finding something.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 AM

Why wouldn't you return if the people ARE friendly...that is a factor on me returning to to a quilt shop!

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
I have walked into some beautiful shops but if the people working there are friendly, I probably don't go back.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I like shops that cary a variety of beautiful fabrics and not just bolts of the line that are the least popular. There seems to be a trend in the area where I live for shops to specialize. Many focus on batiks and blenders only. I was thrilled to walk into a small shop run by the owner, who also had a sewing space as part of the shop space. She had some Asian, some solids, some reproduction, sonme patriotic, some contemporary and there were samples and patterns stashed right next to the fabric. The prices where neither cheap or expensive.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I went to a big store that has thousands and thousands of bolts of fabric and I was so confused. It started to all look the same. Three women owned it and they each bought for it. Too much looked alike. Not helpful. Not friendly. Won't go back.
My shop the owner calls me at home to tell me when they get new fabric. Like I said in a previous thread, she'll sell 2" of fabric if that's all you want. I'm not good at picking out fabrics for quilts. She does it for me. I pick out a couple I like and she picks out the rest and does an excellent job. I travel 45 minutes, past two other quilt shops, so she gives me 15% off everything. She blocks my quilts when they come back from the LAers. She suggests which LAer to use for each quilt and which design. I needed a charm pack but liked the layer cake and she cut it up into 5" squares for me while I waited. She mails me things and doesn't charge for shipping. She has a building out back with lots of tables and chairs and leaves it open 6 days a week for all the gals to get together to sew and, boy do they come. Everyone loves Dawn. Her inventory is down because I believe people are purchasing online more and it's hurt her, but her shop is still my favorite. All because of her! Her old employee opened a shop a mile away and has lots of bolts of new fabric and I think that has hurt Dawn's business as well. I even have shopped there because I love her bright and cheerful fabric, but I felt guilty the whole time. But Dawn is the one who told me about the new shop. But I came back to Dawn because of how she treats her customers.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Some people are just plain snooty and it would not matter where they worked. I really do not like going to a shop where they have the quilt police on duty! I like it, if I have a question they take the time to answer it. Makes all the difference in the world.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Nice people. Good quality products & awesome customer service before & after the sale. Also if they let you look & don't follow you around like you are going to steal the place.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Friendly staff. This is number one for me. If the staff is interested in what I'm making, and eager to share opinions (when asked) or help matching fabric, that is what I want in my quilt shop. There is one locally that I used to really like - but I realize now that it was mostly one of the staff I liked. She ohs and ahs over everything you bring in, and is a wiz at picking fabrics.
Same here. I'll pay more for good customer service & won't even darken your door without it. We have a LQS here & when the new owners took over, my DH went in to buy me a BD present. He's not one to complain but he said they were really rude to him. I thought that was odd so I made a trip in the next week. I've never been treated more rudely so that took care of that. They don't even exist as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 PM

I like to be acknowledged when I come in, if staff is near and not busy with another customer. Friendly and most important knowledable about quilting, notions and fabric. Ready to answer a question or direct you to where you can get the information. DO NOT LIKE TO BE IGNORED!!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 AM

A new quilt shop opened up exactly 20 miles from my house and I was thrilled to say the least. It was in the walkout basement of the owners house - very homey. The owner, a woman, sadly died about a year after their opening and her DH kept the shop open with the help of his wife's partner. Anyway, they had very good prices on their fabrics, especially batiks. I went in there as often as I had extra money. They all called me by my first name as I walked in the door and were very helpful. Then he decided to close the store and move to another town and started having their going out of business sales - 30% off the first month; 40% off the second month and 50% off their last month, December. I went at least once a week and bought armloads of fabric. I was writing so many checks that I started putting "WalMart" into my checkbook instead of "quilt shop" so my DH would not get so mad. I bought fabric for my DD's new obsession with clothesline bowls too. I think that I went 3 times in the last 50% off week. Each time was greeted by my first name. The very last day - it was just me and the owner in the store- and I wished him the best with his new "life" in his new town, etc. What did I receive from him - NOTHING!!! Not even a "thank you for all of your business" or anything like that. That really stung. When I got home I looked in my checkbook and I had spent around $500 there in the last month.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Nikki in MO....so sad! And a "thank you" does not cost a dime! I, too, have purchased at many places and not even a feeble "thank you"...maybe a "hear you go" as they hand you your bag,etc. Manners are rare it seems. No thank you notes from brides and mothers-to-be after a shower/wedding/etc. Heck, my niece and nephew will NOT be getting their combined Christmas/Birthday checks this year...they did not acknowledge last years'...I am still "waiting". I sent $50 to the graduating (high school) daughter of a good friend of mine. She cashed it promptly..over a month ago Heck, I work hard for my income! An email or a FB posting would be easy and appreciated...

sandy