Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What method do you use to sandwich your quilt?

Great... I'm going to give WBB's method a try with my next project!

I guess I'm lucky. I have a tiny house, so I take mine over to my sister. She has our youngest sister's old fashioned floor frame. We set it up and baste it. It takes us about an hour and a half to baste a queen size quilt. Then I take it home and quilt it in my homemade hoop. I kept breaking the hoops, so I took the insides of the broken hoops, placed one inside the other and taped them together to make it thicker. Then I taped the outside pieces together the same way. No more broken hoops. I used the only tape I had at the time, which was black electrical tape. I have been using this "homemade hoop for around 10 years with no problems. I think i wound up using pieces from 3 different hoops. It looks a little wierd, but it works great.

I like to baste rather than pin. I learned to use the herringbone basting stitch for tailoring a jacket once, so when I saw Sharon Schamber's method I use that stitch, I knew it would hold. I've used it on four quilts. Her board method is great for smaller quilts, but I don't have enough space to set up several tables for a queen size quilt.

I have Harriet Hargrave's book on machine quilting. She likes to the quilt to drape over the edge of a table on all sides so gravity helps with keeping the layers smooth. I use her method of marking the center points on the table with taped toothpicks. Since I usually have blocks on the back of the quilt it helps line them up, then since the quilt isn't fastened to the table, I can lift and check alignment as I go. To minimize back pain, I use bed lifters on the table to raise it up to 36". At that height I can drape a queen size on one folding table.
    Elizabeth

Tracy aka Missus Fear, When you use the rolls do you use 3? One for top batting and back or put all three on one roll?
    Becky

I spray baste mine..works great..
    Kitty

My cutting table is my old drop-leaf dining room table. I open it up to its full size and layer the quilt a quarter at a time, letting the rest drape over the sides of the table. If I will be hand quilting, I hand baste with old Coats & Clark thread, using a herringbone basting stitch. I quilt in a large hoop and pins get in the way.
    If I will be machine quilting, I use curved quilter's basting pins. I like the small ones better than the larger ones, they leave smaller holes.
    I sit on my rolling office chair as I baste, and roll around the table as I go so I don't have to reach all the way across the table.
    I've been basting this way for many years and have never had problems with puckers or tucks on the back of my quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I do mine on my cutting table. I pin baste a section at a time. There is no way I could get down on the floor and do it. It would take a crane and probably a military unit to get me back up! Knees and hips aren't what they used to be!
    I resemble that post, especially the part about a crane to lift me, LOL!

DH made a 4 x 8 plywood top for our dining room table for when we have the family over. I also use the top when I need to layer a large quilt. Use painters tape to tape down the backing on 3 sides and big clips for overhang, pin and then move the quilt and retape backing down to finish.
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 07-13-2012 at 04:37 AM.

I only do block by block now, but in the pst I used my large kitchen island (4x6)
    pat design

I use my dining room table - it is plenty long enough but not wide enough. But I make it work for me as I can't get down on the floor anymore either. I know it isn't perfect, but it is the best I can do with what I have.

I use my dining room table, tape the backing, roll and smooth the batting and the top and pin everything. if the quilt is bigger than the table, I do half first and then the other half, it works fine for me!

I have gone to spray basting I lay the backing and batting out on my queen size bed then fold back 1/2 and spray baste the back to the batting (can not do floors any more!) once backing is attached to the batting I place the top on and spray baste it 1/2 at a time or for larger quilts 1/4 at a time once all is spray basted make sure to smooth all firmly together works great - 505 spray gets the best usage about 3 large quilts June tailor works ok but 1 large quilt and a baby quilt from it.

I use the top of my queen size bed, or floor if it's real big, and I spray baste, and use some pins.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I use my queen size bed and spray baste,using a few safety pins to be sure I don't pull it out of shape. I have to hand quilt or use my DSM. I cover the bed and floor around it with old sheets to protect from over-spray. I could not possibly get down on the floor and I am too short to use the wall. I do like to have it basted by my long arm person for hand quilting,but she has been too busy to even quilt my quilts this yeart,LOL.
    rntravelerpat

I use two ironing boards with sheets of plywood covered with checkered picnic table cloths on them. (The checks help me keep it straight. ) I clip the layers together and then use the bent safety pins to secure the top. I then move the quilt as each area is basted. It works well for me as I can adjust the ironing boards to my height and not have to stoop over, either. My back and knees will no longer tolerate the torture of working on the floor.

Put it on my longarm! Hate hand quilting!!!

I used to lay the smaller quilts out on the kitchen table...and when hubby got a pool table...it became the quilting table when he wasn't using it (which was most of the time). Before the pool table, it was the floor. Now I have a longarm machine and I sew my backing to zippers, then I zip the pieces onto the frame. So much easier.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    I resemble that post, especially the part about a crane to lift me, LOL!

DH made a 4 x 8 plywood top for our dining room table for when we have the family over. I also use the top when I need to layer a large quilt. Use painters tape to tape down the backing on 3 sides and big clips for overhang, pin and then move the quilt and retape backing down to finish.
    What kind of clips do you use to hold the overhang in place?

All your different answers, that's why I have a longarm! No more floor!!

I use the livingroom floor. use basting spray and quilt pins

I use my glass topped dining table and clamps from home depot to hold each layer as I put them on top. I use regular large safety pins, I don't need to worry about scratching the table, the glass top protects the table. I have done over a hundred quilts like that . I pin in sections and just move and re-smooth and keep going until all is pinned. I pin about every 3-4 inches.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Another Sharon Schamber convert here. I put a card table next to my dining room table and work from there. The sandwich is so smooth.

here's my preferred way to do it
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t146692.html
    but seriously, mostly I use my table. it's wood, so I use a layer of cardboard on the bottom to protect it, clamp that down and then clamp everything else and pin.
    Last edited by IngeMK; 07-13-2012 at 06:06 PM.

The wonderful artist who long arm quilts for me takes care of that with large quilts! With little bitty pieces, I put the back down on the ironing board, press it well, put the batting on top of the back and press it again, put the top on the batting and press it again and run to the sewing machine before it can get away! froggyintexas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2