Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change? >

What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 AM

In general I don't worry about minor mishaps in points or quilting. If it is something obvious, then it definitely gets taken care of. How obvious it has to be varies from day to day. Lol!
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I have found that when I square up each component of a block that I usually end up with the right measurement block. I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes that way, because I do. Usually if the mistake doesn't jump out at me, I will leave it be. However, when I lay out the finished top, if there is a block going the wrong way, I will rip it out and place it the right way. usually my DH is the one to point out my mistakes, so I don't have to go looking for them; which makes me happy (don't think so), but he usually points out glaring mistakes and the not so little I can let it go ones. The Amish supposedly put in a mistake into every quilt because only God is perfect. Well, I don't have to deliberately do that now.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM

When do I "fix" it? It depends. On my mental state at that moment. If I keep thinking about it. The intended purpose of the quilt "Is it going to Puducha?" or an ART venue, or the unfinished bin. Will anyone believe me, "I ment it that way". Can I embrace the changed affect. It's got to be really "BAD" before I'll go backwards. So it's personal. Many of my friends fix ALL "mistakes". That's their thing and I respect it for them.

So for you, you have to choose your own standards.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 PM

OH! I just noticed, my Avatar is sideways. Will I fix it? Naw. It's art. And I figure it makes a good statement the way it is.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Me, I fix any mistakes I can see from a grazing horse. No running allowed in my studio.

Seriously, I fix everything. Most get corrected during construction, but sometimes I miss one or two. Those are generally found with photos before quilting or during the time I have the unquilted piece hanging on the design wall. I put no limits on how much time I'll spend correcting something.

I treat all quilts as competition quilts...me in competition with my ideal of what the quilt should look like. It gives me far more pleasure to work that way than to settle for something less just in order to call it done. It's my work, there's no reason to settle.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Quilting is suppose to be fun! So I only take out the big mistakes. I'm a big believer that really good quilters make the same mistakes but know how to compensate and hide them. We each have our styles of quilting. Some of us want the quilting police to inspect, some of us believe in the horse riding by theory. Do what makes you comfortable and happy! You will always make mistakes no matter how good you get .
Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM

I might say forget it today, but after it sets around a while, I can't stand it. I just have to fix it. So it depends on if you will be able to live with the "design change" forever, or not. But try to give it a bit of time before you decide.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by iluvquiltin View Post
Two old quotes: The Amish purposely include a mistake, because only God is perfect.
This is an old wives tale. Ask the Amish. They say they make enough mistakes. They don't need to make one on purpose.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:50 PM

I fix all mistakes that I see. My problem is that on two quilts, I did not notice the mistake until after binding. For me, that was too late. On the first quilt, I had sent pictures to a quilting friend throughout the process. I never noticed the error. I gave that quilt to my sister. The error doesn't bother her. The second quilt with an error was made for my granddaughter. I got that quilt back from the LAQ last week. Fortunately, on her bed, the error will not be seen; but in the future, I will be far more careful in checking my quilts before I send them to the LAQ.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 PM

I RIP! unless it would damage the block.