Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What pattern for a man's quilt would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    4 in 4 patch would be good. I'm attaching a picture of one I did for my son using guy shirts. He loved it! If you don't want to recycle shirts for it, you could by plaids and checks.
    This is a great quilt - I love the pattern and the fabrics were perfect - I might have to copy this one.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyKat
    4 in 4 patch would be good. I'm attaching a picture of one I did for my son using guy shirts. He loved it! If you don't want to recycle shirts for it, you could by plaids and checks.
    This is a great quilt - I love the pattern and the fabrics were perfect - I might have to copy this one.

No suggestion for a pattern, but I sure have enjoyed looking at all the great quilts!!!!

Here's one I made for my dad. Just a throw size. He loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    My co-worker and I are planning on making a full size quilt for our boss. He is always so good to us and he has a fishing cabin. I bought the material with fish, bears, eagles,bobcats and such. Really manly looking. Now I can't decided on a pattern other than DN9. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I like alternating blocks of Shoo Fly (or Hole in the Barn Door, another name for it) with Snowball block. The corners make nice paths through the quilts and the snowball blocks give you a spot for focus fabric. Good luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My husband is a Finish Carpenter, so the Carpenter's Star was a perfect choice for his birthday a few years ago. He loved the color choices (brown/rust/olive green), the design, the clean lines, the name of the quilt, and the fact that it was made by all four of his girls (the triplets each sewed a quarter of the quilt together). We made it in a day, and gave it to him for his birthday. I didn't have time to quilt it before he unwrapped it, but he folded it up on his chest and fell asleep on the couch with it. Ohhhh, sweet. I quilted it a few days later.

You can find the pattern here: http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...ters_Star/3945
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made my husband a DP9 for our 25th anniversary. He loved it.

Lovely show of beautiful quilts. It would be hard to make a choice from the posted suggestions. Love the bear paw idea and I may use that suggestion for the greatgrandsons foot quilts.

Turning Twenty,it's great ,easy and fast!!!! Also made a Turning Sixteen( smaller size) for my granddaughter. Made the top in one evening!

I'm with Vivian, Turning Twenty, that way your fabric shows up. I mean the bears, etc. lol

Now that is a manly quilt. Just beautiful quilting and quilt.

I made a four patch square on point for a young man that has been extra good to my dh. It is a very easy and quick to put together pattern

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    I made a nice bear paw quilt with fishing, fly tying and cabins fabric - each bear paw had a theme like fishing, hunting, or cabin, etc. It turned out real nice.
    This also came immediately to my mind :-).

I agree with the turning twenty, I use turning twenty again, the our prayer quilts for men. creams and beiges, or greys usually batiks because of the blendability.( if there is such a word.)

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis
    Here is a pic of the quilt I talked about - it is a bear paw quilt with the fishing, cabins, critters,etc...
    I really like this , thanks for sharing!

[quote=deedum]My co-worker and I are planning on making a full size quilt for our boss.

The Turning Twenty using 20 fat quarters is easy but very nice when completed. You can put borders or make it borderless and it's a generous size. Don't forget to post a pic. :)

I also really like the Carpenters Star. It isn't difficult either but has a great look and size.

I just finished my husband's quilt. It was so easy especially since I'm still learning. The pattern is "Just Can't Cut It" by All Washed Up. I'll try to post a picture of it so look in pictures if you want. Look for a picture of Better Late then Never.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Warm Wishes is great for all and allows for a focus fabric :wink:
    I did that one for our son. Used "music" fabric as the focus fabric and picked three predominant colors for the stripes. Easy to make and very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Warm Wishes is great for all and allows for a focus fabric :wink:
    I have to agree with Sharon here, Warm wishes is a great pattern to use with focus fabrics and with all the prints you have already bought, I think it's prefect. The only extra color you might want to add is his favorite color. Or one that you see him wear a lot to work.

Since you have fabric with wold life on them, how about attic windows.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    My husband is a Finish Carpenter, so the Carpenter's Star was a perfect choice for his birthday a few years ago. He loved the color choices (brown/rust/olive green), the design, the clean lines, the name of the quilt, and the fact that it was made by all four of his girls (the triplets each sewed a quarter of the quilt together). We made it in a day, and gave it to him for his birthday. I didn't have time to quilt it before he unwrapped it, but he folded it up on his chest and fell asleep on the couch with it. Ohhhh, sweet. I quilted it a few days later.

Wow, that is the most stunning quilt ever! Thanks for the link.

You can find the pattern here: http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...ters_Star/3945

Bear paw or some thing with some big stars alternating with plain blocks showing off the prints.

Oh so many wonderful suggestions! Thanks everyone! I know it has to be fairly easy, I have only been quilting almost 4 years.

I like your idea of using your dad's ties. I have several ties that my husband no longer has use for. Can you post a picture? Thanks.

Log cabin or a bear paw quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast