Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What pattern would you use with these 8 inch blocks.

My now 13 year son came to me and ask if I could make him a Wilderness Quilt. I was so happy to know that one of my 4 boys wanted a quilt made by mom that I put all other projects to the side. Found embroidery designs that I wanted to use and now the only problem is the pattern. Also the colors that I have for the other blocks are browns and greens. Do you think I should add another color or just use what I have picked out. Any advice or suggestion is much appreciated. I hope everyone has a blessed day!! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, it that beautiful. You have some really great fabrics to go with it. As far as a pattern, I couldn't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by xraytechluvs2quilt
    My now 13 year son came to me and ask if I could make him a Wilderness Quilt. I was so happy to know that one of my 4 boys wanted a quilt made by mom that I put all other projects to the side. Found embroidery designs that I wanted to use and now the only problem is the pattern. Also the colors that I have for the other blocks are browns and greens. Do you think I should add another color or just use what I have picked out. Any advice or suggestion is much appreciated. I hope everyone has a blessed day!! :)
    What about an attic window?

Beautiful blocks. I would stick with the browns and greens, but add a deep forest green. As far as pattern, I have no clue. I think I would look through my collection of pictures from quilt shows, also on the internet and in books, until I found something to build on.

how beeautiful! If this was for my son, I'd stay pretty monotone, that is, use the browns in different shades with only a pop of another color - maybe the yellow in the eagle's eye. Then I'd set it simply so as not to distract from the embroidery blocks!

What fun!! maybe boarder each block with different colors and then assemble with wider boarder between, maybe a pinwheel in the corners.... love the colors you picked out, know he will love it. post a pic when your finished.

Definately use Greens and tans and browns and maybe some fabric with pine branches ans pine cones to give it that "Woodsy look. I can just see those blocks and that fabric working into a beautiful Northwoods quilt! But I would omit the zebra! Just my opinion....

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    A wilderness needs trees -- maybe done with isoceles triangles in a border over piano-key border for the trunks.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Attic Windows is a good idea. I am doing a simple quilt with blocks and colored strips for my next prayer quilt. If the strings show in the picture, that's why. I don't tie my own quilts. I have the pattern and can probably find the website if you need it. As usual, the colors are off. The green leaf fabric is a pretty olive and the rust batik leaves are a vibrant rust, not red.

Ducky Prayer Quilt - unfinished (no binding)
    Name:  Attachment-191585.jpe
Views: 110
Size:  89.4 KB

I really do like the colors. They are going to be stunning together.

I think your colors are perfect! Wow he is going to have an amazing quilt!

Great embroidery blocks! Where did you find them?

That's going to be just beautiful!! You could ask your son if he would like to pick out another color(s)

you could use the animals for a center of a large log cabin block. I have a pattern for an Ispy quilt where they sort of framed each picture on three sides and then extended the color and wove it around the next block.

Power Poster
    I think the Warm Wishes pattern would look really nice with your blocks. I think that is the name of the pattern that uses three colour strips in between a focal fabric that ends up framing the blocks in alternating colours. You could use green, tan and brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    A wilderness needs trees -- maybe done with isoceles triangles in a border over piano-key border for the trunks.

Jan in VA
    Love this idea! I would keep the quilt simple so the embrodiery will be the focal point.

Blog Entries
    This might work with your blocks and colors.
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/super...uiltdesign.htm

Blog Entries
    Hi XrayTech,

Your embroidered blocks are wonderful!
    Here are my thoughts...First I would cut the blocks down to 7.25-inches. Next add a 1.5-inch border, I would use two colors for this. Then using two different colors place a 2 7/8ths square on each corner and sew as if you were making a HST. Trim off the block pieces that remain behind the square. I think this would make a distinctive border to frame each of the animal blocks. You might try coloring some samples to see if in your color choices if it will make a secondary pattern where the corners come together. That could give you further inspiration. You could stop here if you are just wanting to have a quilt the same size as what the blocks are now, basically, when they are laid out together. The block will finish at 8-inches.

If you feel you may want a block that goes between each animal block and a larger quilt, I would head over to Quilters Cache.com to look at other blocks. If you scroll down an inch or two on the right side you will see a check box for 7"-11" blocks. Go to the 8" section just a little down that page and you will find so many blocks to choose from. At this point you could even do sampler blocks that have wilderness sounding names to them or...sky is the limit here. Be sure to check the dimensions of the blocks once you click on them because some of theme finish at 8"x11" or something other than square. If nothing else, maybe just looking around will give some inspiration for the remainder of your project. Have fun!

Rose

Blog Entries
    WOW, they are great. I, too was going to suggest a large log cabin, but, what about alternating snowball blocks or something that would give you the effect of a triple irish chain. Which ever you decide, I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt. Your Son is one lucky little man!

If you could find this pattern.....it would be so cute! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55575-1.htm

Its me again. I suggest using an I Spy pattern with kind of a woven frame around the pictures. I scanned the picture of the pattern and will attach it to this note. Just something a little bit different.

Blog Entries
    I vote for log cabins and bear paws! Love your fabic choice.
    looking forward to seeing it finished!

I agree with Attic Windows....beautiful colors too!

Blog Entries
    Those are all nice ideas.

My thought was do your tan embroidered squares as snowballs, and alternate with patchwork squares that coordinate with the angle of the corner snowball patch. A churn dash, calico puzzle, ribbon quilt, shoofly.

http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/Snowball/Snowball2.html

Neat border, Jan. I'll have to keep this idea in mind.
    Would work great for this quilt as it fits right in with the theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Jan in VA