Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What price do you charge >

What price do you charge

What price do you charge

Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM

WOW!!! Is that ever awesome!!! WOW, WOW, WOW.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Normally I would charge 3 - 4 times the cost of the material. Make sure that you include the price of thread and what ever extra items that were used, like photo fabric, printer ink, etc.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Don't do that, make many gifts and others for our family's pleasure, or donation.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Cost of material for top and backing times 4, plus cost of batting, plus my normal price for whatever quilting I do, plus $0.25/inch for binding. People don't understand just how expensive the materials are or how much work goes into piecing and quilting a quilt, so most are quite shocked at the cost for making a quilt. Your time and talent are worth lots more then most of us are willing to charge, but if they really want a quilt made especially for them, they should be willing to pay what it is worth.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 PM

I have no idea what to charge. I have never sold one.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Well, I may as well put in my 2 cents worth (I'm sure it's really worth more than 2 cents though - ha!).
Anyway...I charge $10.00 to transfer each photo onto the special fabric. Then I make a guesstimate of charge based on how difficult the design is and if I have made it before.
When I just Long arm I charge .03 per sq inch for custom work. All this is figured in and somehow I pull a price out of my _ _ _. Sometimes I make money and sometimes I get burned. But...I love what I do and if I can get a little pocket money - that's a plus.
Be smart though and write out a receipt (friend, relative, or stranger) and get at least a 50% deposit. That way, they have all the info in writing and that's your chance to make sure all info is correct and your time frame is there. I always say 6 to 8 weeks. There is a certain amount of pressure working for someone else.
I say, 'go for it'! Commit to one and see how it goes. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM

I never even considered half of milp04, awesome details to consider. Thanks for all the info!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM

I just got a bid for Long Arm Quilting a crib quilt for apx. $100.00 including batting and binding. Don't sell yourself short, but don't price yourself out of the market. This crib quilt is for a gift. I would not pay the expense, plus my hours making the top. It would be priced right out of the market.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM

I charge .02 cents a square inch + materials. Gives me about minimum wage.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM

I helped my aunt do something similar - Each year at their family reunions they auction off a quilt from previous year. My aunt doesnt sew and has to have the majority of it done by othrs. The year I helped her we took a picture of her granparents wedding picture and their original homeplace and put that in center - she then asked the LQS what size blocks she would need for each family decendent. I then did "scrapbook" type pages with each family's pictures and used the three main colors for matting etc on the "page". Also had to incorporate that families name in square - some were a breeze since some didnt have too many members - others had almost too many to even fit on page!! I used my scanner to copy and size photos.(everyone wanted original pictures back so I could cut them!!) I had to make sure the blocks were uniform and put the names in center to start and alternating the colors.The names were all done in the darkest color and the matting etc done in the other two - all I had was the fabric to match papers to. Any way to make a long story short I didnt charge my aunt for my labor just the materials. I ran all over twon trying to match the colors to the fabric. But she is my favorite aunt (She was married to my dads brother and they were divorced but shes Still and always will be Aunt Jane)sd
I was ask by lqs owner what I would charge pr block if others wanted it done (I may have priced myself out of a job but for a appro 15 x 14 square I quoted 25.00 for labor. It took alot of time to figure out sizes, colors etc. not to mention the gathering of pictures and copying just the pictures then the time to verify the pictures and people with my aunt for accuracy. (It was for her moms side of family so I wasnt familiar with any of them!!) Much harder to do when you arent familiar with names and faces!!! The LQS then took and copied my "pages" onto fabric. The quilt turned out great and they actually made a little money on it so she could begin to do one for the next year!!!

So hear are my thoughts - its hard when you arent familiar with names faces etc.

I would have them have pictures and names done at a lqs
let them know how much fabric you will need (let them furnish it) Each family heritage may not fit into a layout as nice as yours did so it could take alot more time to figure out placements.

These will not be a labor of love like yours were!!! You will fret and worry more if its for someone else.

I think in the long run I would just say no lol If you want give them a pic of yours and let them go to a lqs to have one made. lol

It is such a beautiful quilt and what a great gift you have given your family !!!

You have inspired me to finish the scrapbooks I started 10 years ago for each of my sibling (yeah in my spare time lol) Needed to do 5 but did 6 so both of my kids would have one of their own.

Good luck in your decision.