Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What price do you charge >

What price do you charge

What price do you charge

Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Someone asked where to get the pattern. I am not sure but here is a site with a couple of tree patterns. It might give you an idea of how to start.\
http://www.sewaquilt.com/family-tree-quilt.html
Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Add up the cost of materials to make quilt- add up the hours it takes multiply atleast $10.00 or more an hour .
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady2
Where did you find the tree? Is it preprinted?

You can find a tree panel similar to that online here. You would just add your pictures and frames around it

http://www.funstuffforgenealogists.c...en-us/d28.html
Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM

The hard part about charging time....it may take one quilter two hours and another several months to do the same project, then there is the question of sewing skills, if I was going to buy one at top dollar I would want it to be perfect and really good quality fabric...I like the charge two to three time more than the material. I would never make money since I don't like charging people...I rather just quilt for the enjoyment...that being said...I would request the materials to be paid for and also I think I would request them to be there to teach them which means 80 percent of the time they forget all about it so I am off the hook...
Originally Posted by dorrell ann
Add up the cost of materials to make quilt- add up the hours it takes multiply atleast $10.00 or more an hour .
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM

I did one that was a little smaller than a twin and I charged $350. The customer was very satisfied and never questioned the price.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM

OMG God! This is a beautiful quilt! You know I brought tree panel and have been just too lazy to work on one for my mother! Now I have no excuse!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM

I wouldn't know what to charge. I just want to say that your idea is wonderful. It's so nice when we can learn new ideas from fellow quilters. Thank you so much for sharing.

Lynne
Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I make a habit of not making quilts for my friends, because I want them to stay my friends. I have found that most of your friends want you to "give them a deal", meaning they want you to do it for next to nothing.

Most non-quilters have no idea what it costs just for the material.

I only give my quilts away as gifts or for charities, that way, I know up front that all the cost and labor are on me.

Had a lady who lives in the bldg. watching me machine quilt in the rec room. She asked me how much to make her one for her queen bed. I know she certainly can't afford it & after stalling a bit I told her if she had to ask, she couldn't afford it. I was afraid I had offended her but she just laughed and said I was probably right. Whew! She's a nice lady and felt I may have lost a friend, but I guess not.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 PM

At least 3 times the cost and a bit extra for specialty quilting.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM

This is so beautiful. If someone asked me for one like this--I would say 400.00-and no apologies. That is a lot of work. To have it sent out to be quilted--I would at least ask for another 100.00. If they wanted it bad enough--they would pay this for it--if not-let them get someone else to do it. I made the mistake of making a huge Ohio state (decorated) crocheted afghan-and did not charge enough. If I did this afghan again I would charge 300.00 dollars-not the 125.00. since this was a close friend-I gave them a deal--but never again--it took up too much of my time. Yes, family and friends always look for deals--so be prepared to respond in a way that benefits you as well. Also get half down--this assures you they are serious.--just a bit of advice--