Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What price do you charge

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! Is that ever awesome!!! WOW, WOW, WOW.

Normally I would charge 3 - 4 times the cost of the material. Make sure that you include the price of thread and what ever extra items that were used, like photo fabric, printer ink, etc.

Don't do that, make many gifts and others for our family's pleasure, or donation.

Cost of material for top and backing times 4, plus cost of batting, plus my normal price for whatever quilting I do, plus $0.25/inch for binding. People don't understand just how expensive the materials are or how much work goes into piecing and quilting a quilt, so most are quite shocked at the cost for making a quilt. Your time and talent are worth lots more then most of us are willing to charge, but if they really want a quilt made especially for them, they should be willing to pay what it is worth.

I have no idea what to charge. I have never sold one.

Well, I may as well put in my 2 cents worth (I'm sure it's really worth more than 2 cents though - ha!).
    Anyway...I charge $10.00 to transfer each photo onto the special fabric. Then I make a guesstimate of charge based on how difficult the design is and if I have made it before.
    When I just Long arm I charge .03 per sq inch for custom work. All this is figured in and somehow I pull a price out of my _ _ _. Sometimes I make money and sometimes I get burned. But...I love what I do and if I can get a little pocket money - that's a plus.
    Be smart though and write out a receipt (friend, relative, or stranger) and get at least a 50% deposit. That way, they have all the info in writing and that's your chance to make sure all info is correct and your time frame is there. I always say 6 to 8 weeks. There is a certain amount of pressure working for someone else.
    I say, 'go for it'! Commit to one and see how it goes. Good Luck!

I never even considered half of milp04, awesome details to consider. Thanks for all the info!

Blog Entries
    I just got a bid for Long Arm Quilting a crib quilt for apx. $100.00 including batting and binding. Don't sell yourself short, but don't price yourself out of the market. This crib quilt is for a gift. I would not pay the expense, plus my hours making the top. It would be priced right out of the market.

Blog Entries
    I charge .02 cents a square inch + materials. Gives me about minimum wage.

Blog Entries
    I helped my aunt do something similar - Each year at their family reunions they auction off a quilt from previous year. My aunt doesnt sew and has to have the majority of it done by othrs. The year I helped her we took a picture of her granparents wedding picture and their original homeplace and put that in center - she then asked the LQS what size blocks she would need for each family decendent. I then did "scrapbook" type pages with each family's pictures and used the three main colors for matting etc on the "page". Also had to incorporate that families name in square - some were a breeze since some didnt have too many members - others had almost too many to even fit on page!! I used my scanner to copy and size photos.(everyone wanted original pictures back so I could cut them!!) I had to make sure the blocks were uniform and put the names in center to start and alternating the colors.The names were all done in the darkest color and the matting etc done in the other two - all I had was the fabric to match papers to. Any way to make a long story short I didnt charge my aunt for my labor just the materials. I ran all over twon trying to match the colors to the fabric. But she is my favorite aunt (She was married to my dads brother and they were divorced but shes Still and always will be Aunt Jane)sd
    I was ask by lqs owner what I would charge pr block if others wanted it done (I may have priced myself out of a job but for a appro 15 x 14 square I quoted 25.00 for labor. It took alot of time to figure out sizes, colors etc. not to mention the gathering of pictures and copying just the pictures then the time to verify the pictures and people with my aunt for accuracy. (It was for her moms side of family so I wasnt familiar with any of them!!) Much harder to do when you arent familiar with names and faces!!! The LQS then took and copied my "pages" onto fabric. The quilt turned out great and they actually made a little money on it so she could begin to do one for the next year!!!

So hear are my thoughts - its hard when you arent familiar with names faces etc.

I would have them have pictures and names done at a lqs
    let them know how much fabric you will need (let them furnish it) Each family heritage may not fit into a layout as nice as yours did so it could take alot more time to figure out placements.

These will not be a labor of love like yours were!!! You will fret and worry more if its for someone else.

I think in the long run I would just say no lol If you want give them a pic of yours and let them go to a lqs to have one made. lol

It is such a beautiful quilt and what a great gift you have given your family !!!

You have inspired me to finish the scrapbooks I started 10 years ago for each of my sibling (yeah in my spare time lol) Needed to do 5 but did 6 so both of my kids would have one of their own.

Good luck in your decision.

Well first off I want to say this wall hanging is priceless and you did a fabulous job. I'm the historian in my family and this tops anything I've ever come across.

After reading all the other posts I have to say Pam hit it right on the head with all her suggestions. She has so much good incite on a project like this, I'm simply amazed. So much to think about when doing a project like this and I think she really hit some very good points that I would have never thought about. I have to agree that this type of project is more time consuming and the fact that simple mistakes on this one can not be over looked especially with spelling of names, dates and such. I especially liked the thoughts about all the added things needed to care for and hang this type of quilt, most I would have not even thought of unless asked about them.

Although you did yours for your own family and you poured your heart into it (as it shows), it would be more stressful when doing something like this for someone else as they are more picky of your work even though you are a great quilter, by the looks of what you have done here, most people just seem to be more picky when they pay you to do anything regardless if they know how to do it themselves or not. For that reason alone I do not quilt for hire but I will make a quilt and if someone wants to by it for what ever price I put on it then so be it. I don't work under stress and would never take on that sort of thing because of that reason.

My bottom line suggestion would be to read carefully what Pam has written and take all things into consideration before making your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    This post if very long.

This is a very interesting question.

Well I had a lot of thoughts to share. Hopefully the thoughts flow smoothly from one to another without repeating. I think I will stop now.

Pam M

One of a kind, unique, and a beautiful heirloom. Easily $350.

A quilt store I was in recently suggesed that a quilt is cahrged at between $.05 and $.07 per square inch. That's and easy way to figure out what to charge regardless of the size.

Pam made some excellent points. As much as we may love our family and friends we can not control how they will act in the future. It is much better to do this in a business like manner than just as "friends". It keeps the relationships solid. Following Pam's advice is a great way of doing it.

I work with lawyers and see friendships and family fight about the most stupid things. No need to do that if it can be prevented in the first place.

Your quilt is amazing. Please be sure to put it in the will with what you want to happen to it when you pass. Makes it clear to everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor
    I made this quilt/wallhanging for my children to keep and pass on to the grand children. Now I have three co-workers that want me to make one for them. How do you go about pricing when making quilts/wallhangings for others?
    That looks great. I don't comission my work, because I know the materials and my time spent on a quilt would be more expensive than most people would want to pay. Those who don't quilt think we can do them over night or in a few days, NO. Most people have no clue about the time or work we put into making quilts.
    I think Pam has thought about everything, and has GREAT advice for you. If you do decide to make one for others, follow Pam's post and get everything in writing and money up front. Make sure all of your co-workers or friends know what to expect. If anyone doesn't want to sign a contract and follow your RULES, then they don't want the quilt, don't waste your time on them.You don't want to get burned yourself and end up with something you can't use, especially since it is a family tree quilt and will have dates and pics of other people on it.
    I would like to add something to Pam's advice - Think of the time it took you to do yours, if you are making this for someone else how much time you will be spending and taking away from your personal family and other things you might want to do, but are obligated to work on the quilt. When you were working on your own quilt, it wasn't the same and it was for your family, with no rush on time, you could stop and take care of family needs, whatever. Also do you desperately need the extra money for doing the quilts for others? Sure extra money is always nice, but is the stress really worth it.

My first answer to co-worker would be No! and leave it at that, You could do like someone else suggested take a pic. of yours and let them get someone else to do it, then you wouldn't have the headache or problem later with co-workers that could make ill feelings and cause work problems in the future.

What I do is take the cost of the expense of the material and double it. I seems to work for me. I know I should charge more, but I really enjoy the feeling when I give them the quilt. They are so thrilled and pleased. It makes me feel good and I enjoy making them so much plus I have money to make another.

Blog Entries
    Your wall hanging is very impressive. I would not even attempt to do that. I do have a published genealogy book of my father's family. I can really understand the work you went through. It took me 2 years to gather the information for my book and still was not able to get all the information.

God Bless You!

You took on a task that will show love all the way down in the future generations of your family.

Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor
    I made this quilt/wallhanging for my children to keep and pass on to the grand children. Now I have three co-workers that want me to make one for them. How do you go about pricing when making quilts/wallhangings for others?
    How about cost of material x 1.60%

I can't answer the pricing question but I want to comment on a beautiful tribute and your commitment to preserving your family's history.

Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    Wow, that IS priceless. I agree with all the comments. I once read on here that you could charge by the square foot. such as a 55 x 75 = 4125 divided by 144 (12x12) = 28.6.

$15 x 28.6 = 429.68
    $20 x 28.6 = 572.90.
    etc.

Sounds like a lot, but this piece is PRICELESS!

Good Luck
    I made a picture quilt and I know how much work is involved. I agree with the above prices at least. Most people have no idea what fabric for a quilt costs, let alone labor!

Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    Wow, that IS priceless. I agree with all the comments. I once read on here that you could charge by the square foot. such as a 55 x 75 = 4125 divided by 144 (12x12) = 28.6.

$15 x 28.6 = 429.68
    $20 x 28.6 = 572.90.
    etc.

Sounds like a lot, but this piece is PRICELESS!

Good Luck
    I don't think it is worthwhile making any quilt under $600, so I think your pricing is hovering in the right direction.

Wow, Wow.......... there is no price for this one....precious to say the least.

dido everyone...don't short change yourself, this is alot of work..start high..very high..then you can be cuddled down a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    make sure you get a deposit to cover your initial costs or you might get stuck when someone changes their mind
    Give them your price up front as well. Getting the deposit for your costs is very important, I have been burned before on smaller items. You don't want to learn this lesson the hard way! I would say $350-$400 is a good range, remember you are going to use lots of printer ink making the pictures, so factor a new ink cartridge into your cost as well. Be confident about your asking pice and you will get it. Good Luck!
    Jovi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3