Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What price do you charge

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful quilt, Great Job. I will go with at least 300 is a lot of work doing something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Not a penny less than $350 (and add another $50 if you're going to send it out to be quilted - ithat way, if it costs $100, you're still going to make $300 to cover your time and supplies).

Don't sell yourself short. Remember, it's going to be family heirloom. Priceless. ;-)

And I would love to see a pic of your quilt straight on - you don't get the full effect when it's laying on the bed. I think it's fabulous.
    I sure do agree with that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    This post if very long.

Well I had a lot of thoughts to share. Hopefully the thoughts flow smoothly from one to another without repeating. I think I will stop now.

Pam M
    Thanks for the insightful look into what to charge for making an heirloom quilt.

Bev in TX

Your quilt is wonderful. I am the last one left of 5 kids and came along late. Sure wish someone had done this for me so I would have my heritage at hand. You did a wonderful job. Remember, when you do it out of love there is no task too hard. When you have no direct interest in it, time can be painful.

What a neat, beautiful, idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you find the tree? Is it preprinted?

What an absolutely wonderful keepsake!

Blog Entries
    YOUr quilt is wonderful. I think others have answered the $$$ question, however, I would encourage you to get the ENTIRE amount up front. If they back out, you cannot salvage anything because it is so personalized. I would also tell them where they can purchase the printable fabric and have them print the photos and text. Way too much can go wrong with that part.

Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    Wow, that IS priceless. I agree with all the comments. I once read on here that you could charge by the square foot. such as a 55 x 75 = 4125 divided by 144 (12x12) = 28.6.

$15 x 28.6 = 429.68
    $20 x 28.6 = 572.90.
    etc.

Sounds like a lot, but this piece is PRICELESS!

Good Luck

This is a very resonable way to price it.

Blog Entries
    good idea

Hi back in the day when I did wedding cakes the rule of thumb was 3 times your cost. One for supplies, one for labor, one for profit. No bonus for doing extra work or time. Better to do it from the heart with a little money than to do it for free. I charge everyone the same and if I need their services I pay their business prices. Fair to all. Great work.

I don't........I do for pleasure the things I want to do and have answered to requests by telling them that I don't sew to sell.

It becomes work then !!!!!!!!!

I made 7 of these wall hangings last fall. What a struggle. All went to the same person and I know that I WAY UNDER charged for them. Do only if you think you want to do it and get specifics like how many photos - my mistake was "assuming" only a few - each of the 7 had at least 10 photos of different sizes. It got to be a tedious chore.

Blog Entries
    Hobbies and business to me are two totally separate things. You really have to want to do this in your heart because it is a big committment that will keep you from doing more enjoyable things for yourself. Time is precious.

Beautiful wall hanging.

Someone asked where to get the pattern. I am not sure but here is a site with a couple of tree patterns. It might give you an idea of how to start.\
    http://www.sewaquilt.com/family-tree-quilt.html

Add up the cost of materials to make quilt- add up the hours it takes multiply atleast $10.00 or more an hour .

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinglady2
    Where did you find the tree? Is it preprinted?

You can find a tree panel similar to that online here. You would just add your pictures and frames around it

http://www.funstuffforgenealogists.c...en-us/d28.html

Blog Entries
    The hard part about charging time....it may take one quilter two hours and another several months to do the same project, then there is the question of sewing skills, if I was going to buy one at top dollar I would want it to be perfect and really good quality fabric...I like the charge two to three time more than the material. I would never make money since I don't like charging people...I rather just quilt for the enjoyment...that being said...I would request the materials to be paid for and also I think I would request them to be there to teach them which means 80 percent of the time they forget all about it so I am off the hook...
    Quote Originally Posted by dorrell ann
    Add up the cost of materials to make quilt- add up the hours it takes multiply atleast $10.00 or more an hour .

I did one that was a little smaller than a twin and I charged $350. The customer was very satisfied and never questioned the price.

OMG God! This is a beautiful quilt! You know I brought tree panel and have been just too lazy to work on one for my mother! Now I have no excuse!!!!

I wouldn't know what to charge. I just want to say that your idea is wonderful. It's so nice when we can learn new ideas from fellow quilters. Thank you so much for sharing.

Lynne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I make a habit of not making quilts for my friends, because I want them to stay my friends. I have found that most of your friends want you to "give them a deal", meaning they want you to do it for next to nothing.

Most non-quilters have no idea what it costs just for the material.

I only give my quilts away as gifts or for charities, that way, I know up front that all the cost and labor are on me.

Had a lady who lives in the bldg. watching me machine quilt in the rec room. She asked me how much to make her one for her queen bed. I know she certainly can't afford it & after stalling a bit I told her if she had to ask, she couldn't afford it. I was afraid I had offended her but she just laughed and said I was probably right. Whew! She's a nice lady and felt I may have lost a friend, but I guess not.

At least 3 times the cost and a bit extra for specialty quilting.

This is so beautiful. If someone asked me for one like this--I would say 400.00-and no apologies. That is a lot of work. To have it sent out to be quilted--I would at least ask for another 100.00. If they wanted it bad enough--they would pay this for it--if not-let them get someone else to do it. I made the mistake of making a huge Ohio state (decorated) crocheted afghan-and did not charge enough. If I did this afghan again I would charge 300.00 dollars-not the 125.00. since this was a close friend-I gave them a deal--but never again--it took up too much of my time. Yes, family and friends always look for deals--so be prepared to respond in a way that benefits you as well. Also get half down--this assures you they are serious.--just a bit of advice--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast