Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you? >

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

What quilting advice would you give "the 10 years younger" you?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Can't do that...my hands hurt way too much to hand quilt. But otherwise, I might have taken it up.

Nah - I'm too impatient.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:48 PM

Just do it! Longed to do it for years before I actually did. Now I wonder what was I afraid of? I'm enjoying the process and the stress relief it brings at the end of the day and proud feeling of a quilt well done and the encouragement from family and friends get the next one started.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Don't worry about the times when you lose your quilting mojo. Give yourself grace, do something else for awhile and trust that your zeal will return. It always does.

Buy an iron that doesn't leak. Your skin is worth that $30. But you can buy a $4 iron just as good at the thrift store sometimes. Just use the iron because wrinkles matter. So does accuracy.

Go for excellence, not perfection. Excellence is attainable, but perfectionism stunts growth.

Sometimes it's the people you'll never meet who appreciate your quilts the most. Keep making quilts for the love of quilting and the comfort of others.
I love your "go for excellence, not perfection. Excellence is attainable, but perfectionism stunts growth." I want to use it on a placard if you don't mind--both my DIL & one g-son have some perfectionism issues.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM

don't wait to give it a try! And don't plan to build stash--it will happen when you aren't looking! Purchase the best tools and fabric you can afford and upgrade when possible--it pays in the long run. Change your rotary cutter blades often. expect to learn something--either about quilting or yourself, with each project. Press,press,press!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Start quilting now and forget about the dishes in the sink - they'll be there in the morning. Lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:08 AM

I find a wealth of information by finding a friend in my quilt group that doesn't mind teaching me to applique, miter borders, or hand quilt etc. I do my own work on the quilt but they are more than happy to show me how to get started. Yes, some things are not appealing right away but I have found I like to have a challenge making something new. In fact I enjoy apliquing so much that I'm going to give myself a treat by trying to do some LBB blocks,Maybe even make the whole quilt over a period of time. Many of our older quilters enjoy doing and helping new quilters. Ask it never hurts.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:55 AM

Start now instead of five years from now.

I wanted to learn to quilt as a teenager, but put it off as school, work and family took up so much time and energy--I could have been doing this for an extra 47 years! Now I'll have to live another 40 healthy years to use up all my fabric, which will be great if it happens, but also a miracle with headlines such as "Congratulations, suzanprincess, on celebrating your 109th birthday and still happily making quilts!"
Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM

I don't think I would do anything differently to be honest. I built a great stash of diverse fabrics - knowing that the day would come when those fabrics would be over $10 a yard. I am so happy to have my stash. I have great quilt friends and have belonged to my guild for over 20 years. I have done what I could do when I could do it. It has been a great ride and it's not over yet