Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting items do you buy when traveling? >

What quilting items do you buy when traveling?

What quilting items do you buy when traveling?

Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM

I travel quite a bit for my job (once a week, average), and I always plan to see a quilt shop to wherever I go. I go, not to buy fabric, but to see and experience the uniqueness that each quilt shop offers. I happen to love the adventure of it all. And sometimes, yes, I do see fabric that is unique or I can't buy at home. Mostly, I am satisfied seeing what others are doing in that neck of the woods. Did you see styles or techniques that are new to you? Then perhaps, you got what you really wanted, and, without the bulk of having to carry it home. Each shop offer unique patterns, color combinations, and styles. I hope you learned something new and enjoyed the adventure of it all, because, after all, we can find those fabrics online.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 AM

We just returned from a trip through 3 different states - stopping at about a dozen quilt shops along the way. We bought a fat quarter at most shops and I've already pieced a top from these to represent our trip. Found a Quilter's Guide book for shops across the US and it was a great help - esp with hours, addresses, and phone numbers.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 AM

I'm a bargain hunter, so whatever's on sale/clearance, etc.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm from New England, on a recent trip to Florida I was amazed at all the flannel fabric down there. Much more than
up here and different lines also. So of course I had to buy tons.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 AM

We just made a motorcycle trip and I went to several quilt stores so the only thing that would pack is material so thats what I buy.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Batik fat quarters.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM

I know what you mean. I was a little disappointed when I visited fabric shops in Switzerland. They had nice stuff, but I didn't see any fabric that would remind me of Switzerland. Maybe I just didn't visit enough shops. I did end up finding a handsome hand crank Naumann sewing machine at a thrift store, that looks a lot like a Singer 27 clone.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM

I agree what with us going out to the different manufacturer's websites (looking for patterns and seeing what has just come out in fabric) you are probably not going to see a lot of new things. There really isn't much "regional" fabrics printed. But having said that I can say that if I were going to the SF area the 2 places I would visit are: Britex in SF and Thimblecreek in Concord.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I do a lot of looking. I am currently working for 2 months near Denali. A seasonal quilt shop has some original fabric (fireweed design) which I will pick up. When traveling I stick to picking up fat quarters that catch my eye or a kit I haven't sen around. Nothing like getting home and NOT being able to find it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM

I like to try to find a kit from a local shop when I travel. When I get home I work on the quilt - usually I try to get wall hangings - and have lovely memories from the trip while I am working on it and then hang as a reminder of that trip. I just returned from Alaska and found a pretty lap top quilt kit called 'Glaciers' in a shop in Skagway. I also found several fat quarters with animals and scenery found in Alaska in other shops, and I want to make an 'I spy' type wall hanging for my Mom who was my travel companion. Now, I just need to look around to find time to work on these projects...... where in the world did that go??