Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting items do you buy when traveling? >

What quilting items do you buy when traveling?

What quilting items do you buy when traveling?

Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 AM

I actually look for nifty notions that I can't get easily or as cheaply at home. I bought some interesting felt pens in Japan, in 1978, which change colours when overdrawn. This particular product was not sold in Australia until the 1990s and so I was very happy to have them.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 AM

I just returned from Vancouver BC Canada, I did not buy fabrics as it is so expensive there but I did find a pair of quilting gloves and lube for my thread there. The Canadian Aurlfil dealer is in the area and for my birthday she gave me 12 spools of Mako 50 in neutral colours to try. When in the USA I try and check out the clearance section to pick up some stash building fabric.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM

When we have gone on vacation and I see something I just need to have I buy it and before we head for home find the local ups or mail station and have it sent home. It can be a little expensive but worth it if it is something I really want and know I can't find at home
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 AM

I usually look at the samples in the shops and see if I am inspired to buy a pattern...sometimes a book, or a fabric that I may never have bought unless I saw how it made up in a quilt. I also like to see what shops have on clearance to get fabrics for borders or backs, or backgrounds.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM

I buy a piece of "something" everywhere we go for the first time. I have even bought a dish towel in Italy and a napkin in France, since I could not find a fabric store. I am making a quilt block for each trip. I usually try to get something that is the color of the state or country flower.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 AM

I take a flat rate box with me on my trip...with the postage already paid. All I have todo when I find great fabrics is to assemble the box and send them home.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 AM

I try to buy fabric that represents the area I travel to--thinking to use in a table topper or other small project. I buy anywhere to a fat qt to a yard+, depending on the size of the print (most are fairly large with words or tourist attractions on them). That way I have a souvenir of the trip.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM

I agree that I try to find fabrics that I haven't found at home. I did find Alaskan fabric and patterns up in Sitka -even though I was with a tour group, we did have free time to look around. However, when I went to Asia and Australia, I was mostly with tour groups and they were larger with no real time to look for fabric stores.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM

I just have to hit every quilt shop I can find to check it out. If a particular piece of fabric speaks to me, I buy it. Maybe I'll just pick up a notion or a pattern, but I usually buy something. Last year while in Coos Bay, Oregon for my son's wedding, I purchased an Asian Tumbling Blocks kit. The sample quilt on the wall got my eye and the pre-cut fabrics were beautiful. I decided to make my son and his wife a 1st anniversary quilt with it, since I bought it in Coos Bay. I expect to have it out of the frame by Monday, (I hand quilt. Started in August, will finish this July) and then on to binding. It is a great reminder of my visit.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM

I buy mostly fabric. It is fun to shop with my daughter and since she is in calif and I am in NW this only happens on trips down there. I could probably get the same stuff up here, but she would not be with me and that is the difference. smile. Since they have a business, she just ships it to me later, so I don't have to worry about packing it.