Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket? >

What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket?

What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 AM

I rarely buy tickets for raffles as I seldom win anything and, if I do win, it's not something I really want/need. I liked the idea of putting tickets into the bags in front of things I might like. Most of us don't need more "stuff" unless we are beginning this addiction. The things we can actually use/consume would be more to my liking--yardage, batting, blades, patterns. Don't care for fat quarters as I'm always afraid I'll run out of the piece I have and then there I am without more. Why not just raise dues a few dollars? Guess not as much fun?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I talked to several of my guild members and they all were excited about trying this type of raffle. We will bring it up at our meeting which is today to start one!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 AM

When you are older, you get rid of the "greed" feeling. I know when I was younger, I would grab up anything I could get my hands on. Didn't always use all of it.
Now, at my age, I'm downsizing. If someone comes to my house and says they like something, usually I can say, "It's yours." If someone breaks a glass, I can say, "More room in my cupboard." But I'll never live long enough to get rid of all the things I should.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Why not just raise dues a few dollars? Guess not as much fun?
The purpose of the raffle is not to raise any money. It's just a fun thing to do. Any money collected from the raffle this month enables me to buy the items for the next month's raffle. The cash never goes through the guild treasury.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 AM

I really like the pattern/book with templates of "Rings that Bind" by Cheryl Phillips.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 AM

Fat Quarters are always good too. One thing we've done in the past is the first person drawing gets to choose first, then the second, etc.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I also buy any tools I need. BUT... a trip paid to a quilting show (lodging, ticket to the show, workshops and market) would do it for me. I'd buy several raffle tickets....
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
When you are older, you get rid of the "greed" feeling. I know when I was younger, I would grab up anything I could get my hands on. Didn't always use all of it.
Now, at my age, I'm downsizing. If someone comes to my house and says they like something, usually I can say, "It's yours." If someone breaks a glass, I can say, "More room in my cupboard." But I'll never live long enough to get rid of all the things I should.
Love your attitude, Mavis!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I'm the type that can open a drawer and dump it in the trash and not think a thing about it ever again. I have no stored items except in my sewing room. I've never had this much stuff to store then when I started quilting.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:53 AM

I think all the suggestions for the raffle are great. I am on the older side, but still get a kick out of a new notion or fabric. I am more into getting rid of my old stuff and acquiring some new stuff I guess. Our guild has lots of fun with raffles and door prizes. Good luck.