Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Is The Secret?? >

What Is The Secret??

What Is The Secret??

Old 10-05-2011, 05:13 PM

You will get as many answers as there are members. Just go take a beginners class, and you will know where your issue is. Have fun!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Fabric has a side that stretches and one that doesn't. I try as best I can to always put a stretch side against a non stretch and ease it is if needed. Learned that in sewing clothes. Kept doing it when piecing. Don't over handle it. Seam allowances are very important. Measure each block as it is finished. Make a paper template of what ever the size is supposed to be. Lay it on top of the block. can't see it at all or too big. check the seam allowances. Be very strict about this. Jan
Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 AM

Sunni, Besides all the helpful hints above consider trying glue basting, discussed today in this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158048-1.htm It would mean a few minutes extra getting ready to sew your rows, but perhaps many minutes less than ripping them out or being unhappy with the oopsies! I haven't tried the glue yet myself, but I do pin every intersection thoroughly; that helps a lot but has not kept slippage entirely at bay, so I'm hoping the walking foot I just bought will be the final solution.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Whatever you do, don't give up. You'll get better and more precise as you go along.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
I agree with Izaquilter. Taking a beginning quilt class is a great help. Even though I've sewn for years, I took a couple of classes when I wanted to start making quilts and those classes were well worth it.

You may be able to figure out things on your own, but taking a class makes learning about quilting a joy, not a frustration
I also agree. I had been quilting for about 2 years then took a beginning class. It was great and I learned alot. It is worth it.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Accuracy. Accuracy in cutting the pieces of a quilt, accuracy in sewing a 1/4" seam, watching where seams come together and accuracy piecing the block after piecing the parts. Even being off 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch can have huge repercussions, as the error is repeated until you can have quilt blocks that no way represent the first blocks. That 1/4" seam plus the cutting are the two most important things we must do to create accurate piecing
Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM

fabric is not paper- it can move and do it's own thing just cause- I agree your seams need to be closer but remember only God is perfect so my quilts don't have to be
Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM

We are all smiling because what you have shown us is exactly what we have experienced when we first started quilting. Not to worry, you will make it work with practice of seating those seams. But the way I get around this problem is strip sewing two pieces of fabric (say 2-1/2 inches), press out and then cut that into 2-1/2 inch pieces. Turn one opposite the other and whambo-o-o-o, a perfect four patch. It all weighs on that *&#@$@ quarter inch seam. You will get there soon. Do not give up.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:03 PM

An even-feed foot is also very helpful so the top and bottom fabrics are fed equally through the feed dogs. Don't know what machine you are using, but for me it makes a big difference.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Getting a 1/4" seam right is akin to passing your first driving test! Lots of practice needed. Two suggestions: (1) get another 1/4" foot that has an attached bar that helps feed the fabric; and, (2) try sewing two rectangles together, press, and measure to see if the width is actually 2 times - 1/2". You'll be surprised how many times it won't be correct. Practice! and, good luck!