Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Is The Secret?? >

What Is The Secret??

What Is The Secret??

Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
sunni, for a first try, that looks great! Your seams are a little off in a few places. The pinning mentioned will help you get the hang of it. I wonder - looking at the pic - if the fabric is flannel. If so, you are dealing with fabric that does not always play well. It tends to stretch a little. Starching the pieces will help - and not just with flannel...
Yep, Flannel. I figured that might have something to do with it, other than operator error :)

robin
Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sunni
Oh boy, now I know why I stick to sewing other things LOL

Here is a picture of what I did.
I did have all the fabric the same whay when I cut, I did use the 1/4" foot that came with my machine and they are off as you can plainly see :(

robin
I ***think**** I can help you. At one time, I solidly believed that just by using the 1/4 inch foot, I would have 1/4 inch seams. Two years down the road, after trying to fudge everything to line up, and trim this block and stretch the other one, I finally saw some good advice, and that was to actually measure the seam. My seam allowance was too big. It wasn't 1/4"! I'd been duped! So, I learned that adjusting the stitch width on the machine was the same thing as when people refer to 'moving your needle to the right'. I know the exact setting on my machine (two clicks) which makes the needle come down exactly at 1/4" from the right edge of the fabric.
Yes, I still use the 1/4" foot, but basically that only guides the edge of your fabric along --- it doesn't measure anything.

Try this: take two carefully cut 2.5" squares, and sew them together. Press to one side, and measure the length of your little two-patch unit. It should be 4.5". It it is smaller than 4.5, your seam allowance is too big. Likewise, if your unit is bigger than 4.5, your seam allowance is too small. Now you can refer to your sewing machine manual on how to adjust the stitch width.

I'd be eager to know if this works for you.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Trust me, I did the same thing and it is practice, practice, practice. I did only small quilts (about 20x20) to start. Go to Quilters Cache website and try the easy ones. I just learned so much here. Reading this board every day is so important because the experts are here with an answer to every question.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM

I pin thru the seams`~~~place right side together with pin going thru top and into seam of block bottom. It helps me keep seams lined up.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
I agree with Izaquilter. Taking a beginning quilt class is a great help. Even though I've sewn for years, I took a couple of classes when I wanted to start making quilts and those classes were well worth it.

You may be able to figure out things on your own, but taking a class makes learning about quilting a joy, not a frustration
I agree, and when taking a quilt class you always learn something new (or at least I do, I'm a newby)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Are you pressing your seams open? I know it's OK to do that, but when I do I can't feel the seams nesting together and they will slip. Press your seams one direction on the first row and the opposite direction on the next row. When you put the seams together you will feel the perfect fit between your fingertips. Then if there is a slight mismatch you can ease the difference on each block.

The perfect 1/4" seam is not as critical as some suggest. What is critical is that EVERY seam measures the same, whatever that measurement is.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 AM

It takes practice to sew a quarter inch seam. There are a few things I have found that helps me. Get a roll of the blue painters tape and cut a thick hunk off the roll about a inch long. Now but a quilting ruler under your needle so it lines up the 1/4" and stick the tape on your machine. Now you can butt the edge of the fabric against to keep a straight. Also it has helped be greatly to purchase a Sew Steady table for my machine( Great investment). I also press my fabic with startch. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
j

I am curious why do you have to iron each one, do the Amish do this, they dont have electric to keep an iron going and burning wood all day to keep a stove hot to heat the iron would seem foolish. I cut all my squares on the Go Baby and sewing them together were still off. So I am at a loss. -- J
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 AM

get you a 1/4" foot for your machine
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM

They amish do have irons they heat them on the wood stove.