Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Sewing Machine to buy.

Since I am reading all the stories about bad machines. I wanted to know what sewing machine would be a good one for me to buy, I want to spend around 150 ( going to be my xmas present from hubby) Also my daughter is 8 and is wanting to start sewing what machine do I get her?? She wants one for xmas and not sure if I should bother with the kids sewing machine or just get her a smaller cheaper regular one. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

About the only thing I can recommend is that you stay away from the low end new Singers, older ones are much better. A lot of the people on board have Janome's but I have no actual experience with them. I would also buy from a dealer, not a big box store. The dealer might also have a used higher end machine for a very reasonable price.

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a Brother CS-770 Computerized machine from Hancocks for $159.00. It is not a fancy machine but it does everything I need it to do. It has 39 different stitches, some for quilting and some for embroidering. I did have to purchase seperately a free-motion quilting foot and a walking foot, but it was well worth it. My 6 year old grandson did some fancy stitching on a little bag I made for his Mom. He had no problems at all.

Picture will not upload. Sorry

OK..I think I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go to a store and actually sit and sew on a machine you are considering... how easy is it to thread, how nice is the stitch... what stitches does it do... what will you be using it to do... quilt piecing and light clothing sewing (not denims, not machine quilting) will do probably fine on one of the the machines you can get for $150.... but buy the best you can. Nothing is more frustrating than having a "tool" that doesn't work well, or do what you want it to do. I used to teach and had kindergarteners (with lots of supervision) sew on my machine.... Don't get your daughter one of those "play" machines if you think she really wants to sew... It will just frustrate her.....

Thanks for the advice. She says she wants to be a fashion designer so I know she really wants to sew, so I will look around and see what is a reasonable price. If she enjoys it on a lower end machine we can get her a better one later, she has a younger sister she can pass it down too hehe. So one more question, by dealer do you mean like a sewing shop?? I am really new to this so not exactly sure what dealer means.

I agree about making sure you sew on it. I also agree about the singers. I love my feather weight I bought, built in 1952, but most singers are not that good anymore, I had a couple of other and the tension was always a problem.

Good to know about the singers that is what I was looking at buying. So I will stay away from those ones.

I'm an advocate of Janome machines and going to a Janome dealer; just look in your tele.book under sewing machine dealers to find a Janome one. They will let you sit and try out a machine, and they do have some nice ones that don't cost hundreds and hundreds. Most dealers have classes too, and some of them are FREE when you buy a machine from them. I taught kids too and agree with 3Gquilter..... definitely do not buy her a toy machine. She can learn on a regular machine (with lots of supervision) and the dealer might have kids classes too.

You can also go online to Janome.com to see all of their models.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you buy......yippee!

I started quilting on a Brother and my son has a Janome. Both were lower end machines ( I didn't want a whole lot tied up in either machine in case we lost interest. ) and both still work great today. The only reason I replaced my Brother was because I wanted a machine that did more and my son is passing his Janome down to my Grand daughter. I found both to be good brands.

Thanks again I am looking into it so I know how much hers will cost and how much mine will cost, I figure if she really likes it eventually I can pass mine down to her and I can get a fancier one.

My first machine was a Brother quilting machine with quilting feet including a walking foot and a table that sliped on. I got it at Tuesday Morning for 129 dollars. It has never been serviced and have no problems with it. It is about 5 years old. It is a great backup now for my computerized machine.

This is the one I found that I think may be good for my daughter. Tell me what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LS2125...ef=pd_sbs_k_12

Blog Entries
    That looks like a nice starter machine :D

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Look at this about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...atNavId=546840

It's a Brother LS2000 on sale this week at Wal-mart for $59. It might be a good started for your daughter. I have a little Brother XL2100 and have had no problems.

Did you read the reviews on amazon, for the price it is really getting some good reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by samroberts01
    This is the one I found that I think may be good for my daughter. Tell me what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LS2125...ef=pd_sbs_k_12

Yes I did that is why I was thinking of it for her. Just wasnt sure what your thoughts were. Here is a link to the two I am thinking of for me but not sure which would be better.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-ES2000...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000...ref=pd_sbs_k_1

I love my Bernina! You might be able to find a used one from a dealer in your price range. One thing to look for is metal feet vs plastic. The metal are much better. Hope this helps your decision making.

The brother CS6000i I have and just love it. Never a problem with it, Bevenger also has this machine. I'm not sure if anyone else does on here but it is a great starter and back up. I up graded to a bigger machine within 1 year, and looking yet again for another upgrade.

I don't know anything about either machine, but reneebobby and Bevenger like theirs that is a good recommendation. Also for the price even if it occasionally needs service. for the price, you can have it serviced many times for the difference you might pay for a more pricy machine, until you can afford to upgrade. I have a Bernina 930 that I bought in 1983, it is really a workhorse, but they still sell used for anywhere from $700-1100. I just bought a featherweight on ebay for $180 in great shape, but I was lucky to get it for that price.

Try Sears...they have a good machine... some say they are Janome.... I have no idea....I bought a 200 dollar Kenmore 3 years ago and no problems at all and there are some miles on it

Now for your daughter go to the thrift store and buy an older metal machine...they take a beating and keep going..it will give you a back up also...buy her a sewing box with the money u save......toy machines are frustrating..my granddaughter used my regular machine at 5

Quote Originally Posted by samroberts01
    Since I am reading all the stories about bad machines. I wanted to know what sewing machine would be a good one for me to buy, I want to spend around 150 ( going to be my xmas present from hubby) Also my daughter is 8 and is wanting to start sewing what machine do I get her?? She wants one for xmas and not sure if I should bother with the kids sewing machine or just get her a smaller cheaper regular one. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    Well I decided on a whim that I wanted to make childrens clothing and quilts, having no idea how to use a sewing machine. I went online - researched, asked which one would be best and got 1000 different answers, I ended up getting the Brother CS6000I from amazon. I completley taught myself how to sew on that machine ( bought about 18 months ago), its got tons of extras and is a beautiful machine, read the reviews on it, for the price ( I got it on sale like 129.00 it has many things that the very high end machines have and it stitches beautifully. I am soooo happy I picked that machine to start on, its sooo very easy to use, so many stitches, the guide that comes with it is step by step- to the point that I was able to sew outfits and blankets for my children within 2 weeks, and after about one month I began selling botique outifits, blankets, rag quilts ( so easy) and got such positive feedback I was shocked, and I never had anyone teach me anything- at first I ripped alot of seams but I never made that mistake again, part of the learning process. After using that machine for awhile I decided that I wanted a machine that did embroidrey, I went with the Babylock Ellure Plus, which is a wonderful machine, and I also bought a husky lock 910 serger for professional seams, just to tell you how much I love the brother I often find myself taking that one to my sewing table and using that- when I have the option of my babylock, its just soo sooo simple and works so well, quiet, I can not say enough about this machine, check it out!

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I went on Consumer Reports to check it out.

They have a Kenmore for $120. and a Brother xl2600i as well that runs $150.

I started out with an inexpensive Kenmore when I first started cause I was not sure I would stick with it. 2 years later I bought a Brother 650Q. Both machines work extemely well and I still use them both. I find that Brother is a good machine. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck in chosing. THe link for the Brother you posted looks like that would be a great starter for your daughter.

All i can say about Janomes is you can't kill them. I have now a Jem gold, more what you are looking for, a 6500, 6000, and a MB4 I love them all. Do go to a dealer and no other. The store I help at repairs all makes of machines and Janome seems to be the toughest. Our dealer has a program that if you like the one you sold, you can trade it in at full purchase price within one year and get a newer or bigger on. She also gives all the free classes you need for ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast