Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing machine do I buy? >

What sewing machine do I buy?

What sewing machine do I buy?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
I've had Singer, Brother and 2 Bernina's. If you can afford it, I highly recommend a Bernina. I love mine - just got the new 830. And my dealer gives free classes to those who buy from her. I would think that would be a requirement of a Bernina dealer, but maybe not. The Bernina website has a world of information too. Good luck on your purchase!
And if the Bernina is out of the question, which would you prefer, the Singer or the Brother. I've had Singer, White, and New Home (and Janome), but never a Brother. How does it compare?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 AM

Brother over the Singer, but then it was the newer of the two. I had an Esante embroidery machine. I really liked it, but then it started messing up some. I had two friends that had Berninas and they convinced me to get one. I bought a 730 in March of 2008, and my dealer said she'd give me full retail on it if I upgraded to the 830 (my 730 was still less than a year old). I just couldn't pass that up and got the 830 this past March with 36 month no finance charges. My DH told me to get a new machine as much as I like to sew, quilt and embroider. I told him what I wanted was really expensive, and he said to get what I wanted, so I did. Love Bernina!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Brother over the Singer, but then it was the newer of the two. I had an Esante embroidery machine. I really liked it, but then it started messing up some. I had two friends that had Berninas and they convinced me to get one. I bought a 730 in March of 2008, and my dealer said she'd give me full retail on it if I upgraded to the 830 (my 730 was still less than a year old). I just couldn't pass that up and got the 830 this past March with 36 month no finance charges. My DH told me to get a new machine as much as I like to sew, quilt and embroider. I told him what I wanted was really expensive, and he said to get what I wanted, so I did. Love Bernina!
That DH is a keeper !
Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Most definitely! He also let me get the quilting frame at the same time!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM

sounds like mine he is always trying to get me to buy something but I am the one looking at the price tags!! once I get going then he can get me something bigger! :lol:
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by STAR
sounds like mine he is always trying to get me to buy something but I am the one looking at the price tags!! once I get going then he can get me something bigger! :lol:
Good for you!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 PM

You're so lucky. By the way, have we seen a close-up of the quilt in your avatar? I like what I see. Is it a kaleidoscope? Or are those stars?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
You're so lucky. By the way, have we seen a close-up of the quilt in your avatar? I like what I see. Is it a kaleidoscope? Or are those stars?
Thanks so much. The pattern is called Tilted Squares and it was my first time paper piecing., which I really enjoyed once I got the hang of it. I'll see if I can attach another picture. I made it for my daughter that just graduated from college. She picked out the material and you can tell she likes bright colors. I tend to go be drawn more to traditional and dark colors. I didn't know how it would turn out, but it's actually my favorite of all the quilts I've made. Now my son, who graduated from Virginia Tech in 2007, wants one in VT colors, which are orange and maroon. He's picked a pattern with lots of tiny pieces that calls for about 35 different fabrics. You can imagine how hard it is to find that many fabrics in those colors ( he said I could use other colors, but he prefers most to be VT colors), especially ones that are masculine. I've bought the fabric, but am almost afraid to start it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17988.jpe  
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Thanks so much. The pattern is called Tilted Squares and it was my first time paper piecing., which I really enjoyed once I got the hang of it. I'll see if I can attach another picture. I made it for my daughter that just graduated from college. She picked out the material and you can tell she likes bright colors. I tend to go be drawn more to traditional and dark colors. I didn't know how it would turn out, but it's actually my favorite of all the quilts I've made. Now my son, who graduated from Virginia Tech in 2007, wants one in VT colors, which are orange and maroon. He's picked a pattern with lots of tiny pieces that calls for about 35 different fabrics. You can imagine how hard it is to find that many fabrics in those colors ( he said I could use other colors, but he prefers most to be VT colors), especially ones that are masculine. I've bought the fabric, but am almost afraid to start it.
I love it even more seeing the close-up. Gorgeous. And I can imagine your dilemma with the 35 fabrics. Did you go with all the ins and outs of oranges and maroons? I would think you could range from the almost-yellow of the yellow orange to the dark brownish maroons....and anywhere in between. I made a "pink" quilt for my GD#1's h.s. graduation. Went from the palest of pinks to the darkest of maroons. It was really nice. Lot of HSTs. Have lost the pattern, darn. Would love to make another one. It was in an old magazine.

The choice of colors in your avatar quilt is really nice. :thumbup:
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 AM

Thank you for the compliment. And your suggestion on the shades is what I tried to do for DS's quilt. I need to make a design board so I can play with the fabrics before I sew them. Do you have a picture of the "pink" quilt to share?