Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing machine you recommend? >

What sewing machine you recommend?

What sewing machine you recommend?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 AM

Dealer is definitely the way to go. Shop around. I have a Janome and Pfaff. Each has their favorite brands. Plus you have the support if you have problems and will get classes on the machine. You could also check with Brubakers. Amy will give you a great deal and they have fabulous customer support. www.brubakerssewing.com I know Amy and Brubakers from my Janome 7700 yahoo group.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by hrtireladie11185
I am looking for a new sewing machine. I have only $400 to spend. I have never learned the difference in sewing machines and always bought the least expensive from WalMart. I want to be able to quilt, regular sew and some embroidery (if this is even possible at this amount).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nicole.
don't buy a lower priced Singer
Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM

I would recommend a Janome Machine. You get a lot for your dollar with a Janome.

I also recommend that you don't buy it at Walmart or other such discount store or internet site, because they don't offer service and training. Once you buy it, you're on your own.

Even a used machine can be very cost effective.

Lanny
Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned

Let me put my two cents in. I also would buy a used or floor model for a reputable dealer. The machine usually comes with some sort of warranty from the shop where it is purchased and sometimes lessons to acquaint you with the machine.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Enjoy your journey ! Be sure to go out and try out several different names because once you do you will "know" which one is to come home with you !! Let us know !
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 AM

I love babylocks and brothers, not sure what you can get for that price, check dealers, they also have free classes. I got my espire for 1800, no interest payments for a year. Not bad for me. Sometimes they have slightly used that are higher end for cheaper than they would be normally, and you still get free classes. Dealers are the way to go if you spending that kind of money
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM

I bought a Janome machine at Hancock Fabrics for $260. It has a lot of stitches, needle down, and stitch width adjustment. I bought it to take to classes as my Janome 6500 is just too heavy. You can buy a quarter inch foot for it at about $15. I also have 2 other Janome machines and love all 4 of them.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 AM

I have to agree put your money to good use and get a better machine. It will pay off in the end and the dealer can take care of your machine. I have some I bought from Overstock.com I love them but the thoat space was 5" and trying to quilt a queen size quilt it can be done but it is a pain. Keep looking also craigslist ect the good machines are out there that you CAN afford!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Hi, Everyone:

Thanks for all the suggestions. You all have given me a lot to think about. I am going to list everything down and research the different brands/styles. There are a couple of quilt shops in Richmond and Houston I can visit that sells used, floor models, cruise models and new.

At least I can take embroidering off the list. My dh found in a copy paper box an embroidery machine (brother ult embroidery machine) in my sewing room. I forgot all about it. I had bought it over a year ago from a friend of mine who needed the money. I never used it and just kept it in a corner. Wow! Now all I have to do is concentrate on the sewing/quilting side.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Thanks.

Nicole.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I would go for a good machine for quilting. A Brother 1500 has a large, little over 9", throat. Its great for quilting and piecing as it has the auto. cutter on it. It is a straight sewing machine. No fancy stitches, but a beautiful quilter. Later, you may find a used Janome 5000 for about 250. to $300. in my area. Does fantastic embroidery 4x5" but I think the nicest embroidery of all the machines.
How do I find out how large a throat a machine has, before I purchase?