Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? >

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
I hold pins in my mouth. Bad habit.
this is my ONE bad habit! in the sewing room anyway!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM

I sometimes sew with pins in my mouth. Still trying to break this very bad habit.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM

I am very slowly learning the hard way to not sew over pins. I recently did the most damage ever. When I hit the pin, it bent the needle which then stabbed into the side of the bobbin carrier. A great big slash in the side of it. My dealer didn't have a replacement one on hand, so I smoothed the plastic off with the blade of my scissors. (Yup, the sewing scissors). I have to replace them often too because I'm the worst offender of using them for things other than fabric.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My worst habit was biting through thread when I was in a hurry. It's no longer a problem since my "bite" has changed. Getting old is the pits!
LOL. I was wondering if someone was going to post this. Reprimanded by the dentist. My bite changed too due to TMJ and a bridge. Now I can't whistle for nothing or chomp down on those threads. Takes time to take out the scissors, don't ya know? lol

My habit is that I forget to put the iron on the iron rest attached to my Big Board ironing board. Doing so keeps the iron on and ready. I HATE it when I go to iron and I have to wait for the Rowenta to heat back up. Doesn't take long, but I hate the wait. No waiting if I keep it on the slant and ready to go.

My worse habit I haven't been able to break yet? Purchasing fabric I don't need yet.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I toss my snipped threads on the floor. I consider it feeding Mr Vacuum.
Me too! And any other "junk". I learned to be messy when I worked in a bridal shop (for just a couple of months). I saw that was what the seamstresses did - it was faster than aiming for a garbage can - and at the end of the day they just swept up the floor.

Trouble is... at the end of my day, I don't sweep up the floor!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 AM

If you ask my DH, I sew too slowly. I won't let it sew over the mid-speed to preserve my machine normally. Going too fast is hard on the machine parts & I don't want to wear it out prematurely. Sometimes though, even I get a little anxious. Just once with my present machine I was exhausted & ready for bed, so I jacked it up & stomped on it. Finished that long seam quickly, but DH couldn't stop talking about it for a month!! LOl!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 AM

I toss thread on the floor. Hold pins in my mouth, my mother did this it is an inherited habit. I am also messy with my scraps. I leave my sewing/quilting books all over the house, when I need one it may be on the coffee table, the kitchen table, on the porch, my night stand so I have to running around looking for it. As form self help I am using a tip from one of my books. WWMD ... What would Martha do? (yes Martha Stewart). Love her or not you have admit she is very neat and organized. A powerful role model for the organizationally challenged. When I find myself being a sewing slob, rushing a project or some other evil thing I chant this a few times. I believe it is affecting my sub conscious and I am slowly becoming neater.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 AM

So many to pick from... I suppose my biggest sins are:

1 - Sewing to fast
2 - Stash building when I shouldn't (I'm very guilty of this)
3 - Having a TON of projects in line to be started and then not doing them in order... in other words building my "projects to be done" stash
Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 AM

bad ones outweigh the good ones mastered:
Too many projects - both started and unstarted
too much fabric but can't stop buying
don't change needles or blades soon enough
cut from right
pins in mouth - terrible for teeth
however--
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 AM

ok, I fib to my friends, when they call to say let's go to lunch, to the mall or costco my answer is oh sorry other plans, when it is really that i want to sew all day.....then i have to hide my car because i have one friend who drives by and checks ........ family have actually called the LQS to find me because i did not answer my cell. but, in my defense i never miss a chance to go to a quilt shop or shop hop or quilt show!