Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? >

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 AM

I put my pins in my mouth. Oh, the germs! They are my pins and no one else used them. Well, they better not use them. LOL
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 AM

Have to say that has always been a thing for me...Now I am trying to finish about 20 quilt tops and have them quilted. Always had to be something new in the works...well they got shifted aside and have a huge bin full of them since the 70's. Always a new class. Oh, well, such is life.

Originally Posted by weasier22 View Post
Have to fess up to starting new projects before I finish others waiting in line!! I used to sew over pins, but I finally have stopped doing it. My Mom would be proud!!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 AM

I realized the other day as I was pinning a quilt to the leaders on my quilt machine I put the pins in my mouth. On the flip side of that, I suppose it is a bad habit that I don't pin except for large pieces with multiple matching points, like rows of blocks.

My MIL cuts and marks everything for anything she sews. I wing it. I cut out an entire garment but I rarely mark anything on it and never until I need it. On quilts I cut as I need it and I never mark anything.

I also just get rid of most things if I don't finish them up pretty quickly. I lose interest. I am better about quilting projects but I have sent a few of those off to NeverLand, too.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 AM

Cutting towards me with the rotary cutter instead of away from me.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 AM

Sewin over pins, i use to be bad about cleaning my machines, but not now, i clean often and oil, and i take my machines in once a year for servicing and a check. Sew I'm pretty good now.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:56 AM

I need to stop allowing a new idea for a quilt to pop into my head until I have finished the ones in progress.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have had my share of bad sewing/quilting bad habits. You would think after more than 4 decades of sewing/quilting I could stop doing some of them.
My worst habit , is yes ...... I do sew over pins ( not all the time). Thankfully I have slowed down my machine when I do this , and no damage has been done. But I can still hear my Mom yelling at me , STOP sewing over PINS!
So fess up .... whats your bad habit, one you really wish you could break?
My first and foremost is that I, too, sew over pins. My first machine (and my mom's machine) was a slant=needle. One of the things the demonstrator told us was that "It sews over pins." And it does. Now I have other machines and I forget to remove pins 99% of the time.

Another thing I "can't" go is work with a thimble.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 AM

I never sew over pins. It bends them and I hate bent pins. I only use glass head pins and they are too expensive to bend and toss.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 AM

I don't clean my machine very often at all. Very, very bad, I know. S=t=r=e=t=c=h the rotary blade as far as it will go. Don't change my sewing machine needle until I absolutely have to.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM

I've got a story to tell. When I was 4 or 5 I was supposed ta be taking a nap but I was playing with my Barbies. Now all of my Barbie clothes were hand-me-downs or bought at garage sales. They had missing snaps, so I pinned those clothes on. I'm sitting on the bed pinning the back of a dress & holding pins in my mouth just like my DM, when she walks by. I thought, "oh no I'm gonna get caught playing & not taking a nap!" I threw myself back on the bed & swallowed one of those pins! I started screaming & presently vomited blood. I was whisked to the hospital. To make a long story short; a week later I pooped it out.
You'd think that that would have kept me from putting pins in my mouth, no, I do it all of the time!