Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? >

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:08 AM

I don't read the instructions then I have to "unsew"!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts View Post
If you ask my DH, I sew too slowly. I won't let it sew over the mid-speed to preserve my machine normally. Going too fast is hard on the machine parts & I don't want to wear it out prematurely. Sometimes though, even I get a little anxious. Just once with my present machine I was exhausted & ready for bed, so I jacked it up & stomped on it. Finished that long seam quickly, but DH couldn't stop talking about it for a month!! LOl!
My Bernina Dealer has actually told me that keeping the speed on slow is harder on the motor than the higher speed. Just FYI...

My bad habit is also pins in the mouth :-((
Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
I sew over pins, without shame ... I have never broken a needle in 50 years of sewing, although I have bent a few pins!
I used to do the sewing over pins, actually that is how I was taught, too many years ago. My first class with the new machine, I almost did it and the teacher gave me a talking to, telling me the timing could get thrown out if I hit the pin. Ever since then, do not do that, maybe that is why my old kenmore did not sew right? Hit too many pins. I do try to take care of this machine, even though it is 6 years old. My sewing machine is as important to me as my coffeemaker! lol
Old 02-04-2012, 05:35 AM

Think I am guilty of all the things mentioned on this thread but o-what the heck
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Swap Hosts

All of the above except - I don't keep pins in my mouth or sew over them because I rarely use them.
Instructions? What are those?
I iron, but not as often as I should. Starch? rarely.
My studio? Hahahahaha! Let's put it this way. If I fall down I won't hurt myself.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 AM

I didn't actually think I was that bad - until I read this thread and it turned into a mental litany of 'Yup, do that', 'That's me', 'Uh-huh'...

Worst one is pins (and needles) in mouth - although in my defence I now am careful to use lips only (after chipping a front tooth on a pin several years ago *ahem*)

I like having lots of things on the go at the same time, so am refusing to admit that as a bad habit. LOL

And I talk to myself all the time, not just when I'm sewing. Always have. Co-workers are used to it now!!!

Bad habit I seem to be developing: turning patterns into English paper piecing because I find it easier. I started doing Sylvia's Bridal Sampler specifically with the idea that it would expand my quilting techniques since it would require learning things like foundation piecing that I haven't done before. Instead I now seem to attempt a block as intended, have it come out wonky, and instead of persevering with the 'proper' technique I convert it to paper piecing. Or if I'm feeling really rebellious I look at the instructions and go 'That would be so much easier being paper pieced' and off I go!!! LOL
Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 AM

starting a new project 'again' before finishing one of the dozens that are waiting.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 AM

You named all of mine... But since it's only me in the room, who really cares???

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I wait too long to change my rotary blade -- and I also sometimes don't close the blade.
I don't clean the machine after every project -- though I do try-- but when I do clean I am very thorough.
I forget to replace the needle in a timely manner.

This is not bad, but when I cut my fabric, the bulk is on the left -- I cut from right to left. If I don't use the shape cutter, I use two rulers when I cut the fabric.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I wait too long to change my rotary blade.
Oh you change your rotary blades? I am guilty of this!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 AM

I have too many bad habits - put pins in my mouth, use rotary cutter in my bare feet, don't change needle in sewing machine, don't clean machine often enough, don't change blade in rotary cutter when gets dull, sew over pins, throw my threads on the floor, don't put things away when I am done a project, etc ......

But a positive habit is all my fabrics are folded and organized by colors in my cabinets or groups in tubs! I like my eye candy to be neat!