Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing surface would  you prefer? >

What sewing surface would you prefer?

What sewing surface would you prefer?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Between the two, I would go for the drop table. I have the "extension" table and believe me, it's more trouble than it's worth when you have a big quilt, which seems to be the only kind I make. LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 AM

I have a kenmore and a Babylock, this one I listed the web site from does fit any machine, so if you happen to have more than one machine or buy a different machine you don't have to buy a new table. This table is adjustable to any machine. That's why I thought it's kind of cool, because they are not cheap.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM

I am unsure of your budget but both of the options you listed have their inherent problems...

First....you would always be fiddling with your quilt top so it didn't bunch up and create a drag on your FMQ which would in turn create problems in the smooth flow of FMQing.

Second....is better because your machine is level with the table on all sides so your quilt will move easier for you. However the table is small...perhaps you could put a table behind it to hold your quilt top so it doesn't fall and create drag. Another consideration is the amount of space on the left side of the quilt again creating drag if you are quilting even a throw. You also want a table that is stable and not wobbly.

Your budget makes a big difference in your options and I would certainly get out and check out all the options available to you. You won't know for sure what you would be comfortable with until you try out all the options.

If you are able to go with the largest quilting table that would certainly be your best option. Each manufacturer will make the specific piece for you machine/machines so they will fit flat on the table. Usually the first one is free and any other ones you might need are not terribly expensive thus allowing you the use of your table with all the machines you might have.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I have the Dream World Sew Steady table and like it.
It looks like with the Gidget, you have to purchase the table for $169 AND a custom insert for your machine, at an additional $70. I may be wrong, but this is how I'm reading the advertisment. Looks like the $169 gets you the table with the drop only.