Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 AM

OMG! yes. I was pretty proud of my very first quilt, a sampler. After a couple years I used it as a curtain for the top part of the window in the bedroom. Only at that point did I realize that my picket fence was not perfect. I could go on but... After I got over feeling like a dummy, i descided to leave it up and no one has ever mention the errors, and I still like it. (That took a while after I saw the mistakes.)
Laughter is good for the soul!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judithb
OMG! yes. I was pretty proud of my very first quilt, a sampler. After a couple years I used it as a curtain for the top part of the window in the bedroom. Only at that point did I realize that my picket fence was not perfect. I could go on but... After I got over feeling like a dummy, i descided to leave it up and no one has ever mention the errors, and I still like it. (That took a while after I saw the mistakes.)
Laughter is good for the soul!
There will always be one eagle-eyed person that will spot the "creative" spots - most people will not even notice.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM

I sewed 2 pieces together - oops wrong way - took them apart. Then I "fixed" them and sewed them correctly... or I thought I did. I re-sewed them wrong! Same sides of the fabric with the needle holes and everything. Once is understandable, but twice??

When I do hand work, I have a tendency to sew through my finger. It's just the top layer, so I don't notice and it doesn't hurt (or bleed), there's just a piece of thread running through my finger.

And my personal favorite - I was once fussing with the needle (foot up) because it was stuck on something, and to free it (which did work, btw), I put the foot down... only my finger was right there. Needle went through my finger (that did hurt, not like the hand sewing), but I did free up whatever I was trying to free.....
Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Well I learned again to take my foot off of the stupid pedal when I am trying to work with the bobbin. I don't know how that think can turn sooo fast! I was taking the bobbin out or thought I would when for some reason I pushed down on the back part of the pedal and...zing...the thingie turned with my fingers in there...so no sewing for now...many bandaides and a sore finger... :roll:
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well I learned again to take my foot off of the stupid pedal when I am trying to work with the bobbin. I don't know how that think can turn sooo fast! I was taking the bobbin out or thought I would when for some reason I pushed down on the back part of the pedal and...zing...the thingie turned with my fingers in there...so no sewing for now...many bandaides and a sore finger... :roll:
Hope it gets better soon. owie owie
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 PM

I discovered that my Pfaff 2140's foot pedal works with my Pfaff 2040, BUT the Pfaff 2040's doesn't work with the Pfaff 2140. I ALMOST took the 2140 to the dealer to find out what was wrong with it.

Anyone who has had more than 1 Pfaff in the last 12 or so years knows that the foot pedals and their connection to the machine look IDENTICAL, and they don't have ANYTHING identifying the model they belong to. Mine do NOW in big black Sharpie numbers!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judithb
After I got over feeling like a dummy, i descided to leave it up and no one has ever mention the errors, and I still like it.
When I decide to leave "an error" I decide to own it. That way the quiltzilla who feels compelled to point it out has no power. Good for you!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM

While tying my very first embroidered quilt, in my long robe, I tied the quilt to my robe----5 times.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:06 AM

I wasn't quilting but it was sewing. I took a thread cone off the serger and found that the plastic cone adapter was stuck inside the cone. Instead of poking a pencil or something in it to push out the adapter, I stuck my finger into the hole on the top of the spool. You guessed it - my finger got stuck. Ran to DH for help. He wanted to cut the spool off but I kept saying "do you know how much these things cost?" and wouldn't let him. Refused to run it under cold water to bring the swelling down too cause I didn't want to ruin the thread. Finally, after waiting forever with that cone on my finger to get the swelling down, we managed to work the thing off. My finger was sore and swollen for a couple of days. All for a lousy $6 spool of thread! :roll:
Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

You can call us quilters lots of things....that will include frugal!!!! :lol: :lol: Sometimes I even slip over to the "cheap" side!