Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size embroidery hoop? >

What size embroidery hoop?

What size embroidery hoop?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
My husband is looking to buy me an embroidery machine as a belated Christmas present. I think we have narrowed it down to the Brother PE770 and the Janome 300E. Both offer 5x7 hoops. My question is, do I really need the larger hoop or would a machine that does 4x4 be sufficient? I have never embroidered in my life but have always wanted to learn. I would like to embroider squares to make quilts and may0be embroider on dish hand towels. Thanks for any suggestions. :)
I did the same thing went with the baby lock but when I got started A lot of what I want to do now is bigger sizes...step up to the bigger machine ( if it is in your budget )
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I am noticing that more and more of the smallest newer designs, are bigger than 4" X 6". :D:D:D
Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM

My sewer/embroider machine is a Brother SE 350 and fairly old at this point. I used the 4 by 4 hoop for many things and I truly love everything about the machine. The other day, I did a search for a larger hoop for my machine and found a 4 by 6 and 3/4 one. Than my precious hubby got me a brother serger on line. All will be here by the 20th...the serger is not an expensive one, but I feel priviledged and blessed to have what I do. Truly love my machine.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:52 PM

My sewer/embroider machine is a Brother SE 350 and fairly old at this point. I used the 4 by 4 hoop for many things and I truly love everything about the machine. The other day, I did a search for a larger hoop for my machine and found a 4 by 6 and 3/4 one. Than my precious hubby got me a brother serger on line. All will be here by the 20th...the serger is not an expensive one, but I feel priviledged and blessed to have what I do. Truly love my machine.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Go with the best machine and largest loop. I'm finishing a Texas theme lap quilt of 10" x 10" squares, 3 x 5. I have embroidered in each square and a trunpto star in the center, and embroidered stars around the border. I used clip art to make the designs. Embroidery will add so much character to your quilts and personalization. Buy a machine that is the biggest selling brand it will be easier to get designs to use. I love my Designer Diamond Viking.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Vicki - what do you use to convert the clip art to use in embroidering? Thanks. ;-)
Marysewfun
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 PM

I have software that is from Viking/Pfaff. There a lot of different sewing companies have software and indepent ones like Floriani. A good store will have classes and will answer questions to use the software. Have fun picking a machine and software. Do your research. That is how I ended with Viking 12 years ago and have upgraded every couple of years because the features just keep getting better. I'll stop now because I have about 14" square. You can do a lot with it.
Good luck
Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 PM

I'm with everyone else, get the largest you can afford. I have a 4 x 4 and wish I could have afforded to get the more expensive Brothers that would have given me the 5 x 7. Maybe some day.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM

You can always do a small embroidery in a large hoop, but not the other way around. Each hoop (at least in this country) costs an extra $250 minimum, so I would be finding out how much the extra hoops cost for both machines and make your decision after that. I think you will buy an extra hoop after you get hooked on embroidery or the first time you want to embroider a name or phrase on an item.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 PM

I HAVE A BERNINA 200/730 I USE IT FOR EMBROIDERY AND SEWING I HAVE ALL THREE SIZE YOU SHOULD GET THE BIGGER SIZE THAT WAY YOU CAN USE SMALL DESIGNS AS WELL AS LARGER DESIGNS