Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size embroidery hoop? >

What size embroidery hoop?

What size embroidery hoop?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Dee

I have the PE700ll and the 5x7 hoop. Glad I have the bigger one. I still have a machine with the 4x4, but bigger is better.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM

deffinitly large hoops. i do a lot of emb and use the lg hoops constantly.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM

i don't have my janomi 11000 any more but have a free arm hoop, an 8x12 and a 6x8 hoop for sale for $150 i paid about $ 340 for them. don't know if they would work with your model but i think the hoops fit all the janomis. if you want them i'll throw in the extra ebm foot i found in my drawer. don't know what shipping would be i'd have to take them to postnet to have them packaged. let me know if you're interested. connie marco
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM

I just received the Brother PE770 as a christmas present. Of course I had to open it and use it right away. Could not wait. I already know that I want another present for Christmas. The 5 x 12 hoop, which you can use on the PE 770. I found that if you have teenagers or grandkids you want to be able to print schoolnames, teams etc. on the back of sweatshirts, jackets. etc. and the 5x7 is even too small for that. I definetaly would go for the machine with the larger hoop capability.p.s. Love my machine so far!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:59 AM

Definitely go with the bigger hoop...you will find the 4x4 limiting after a while. I use my 5x7 hoop the most, although I have bigger and smaller sizes.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Freddie
I just received the Brother PE770 as a christmas present. Of course I had to open it and use it right away. Could not wait. I already know that I want another present for Christmas. The 5 x 12 hoop, which you can use on the PE 770. I found that if you have teenagers or grandkids you want to be able to print schoolnames, teams etc. on the back of sweatshirts, jackets. etc. and the 5x7 is even too small for that. I definetaly would go for the machine with the larger hoop capability.p.s. Love my machine so far!
Exactly - me, too - I am going for the 4 hoops accessory package which also includes the 5x12 hoop. The PE770 was my Christmas present, too - and I am waiting on the "M" size pre-wound bobbins - My SE350 takeds the "L" size which I still have gobs of - but I didn't realize I needed the "M" for the 770 so I am waiting for them to arrive. :-)
Marysewfun
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Started with Brother SE350 it only had 4 x 4 hoop, sold it and bought the innovis 1250D that has the 5 x 7, wish now I had saved more and gotten the one up that has the 6x x 10, mine has the 6 x 10 hoop, but only the 5 x7 embroidery field, which what is really important. The larger hoops are sometimes only for saving re hooping, and if you think you may want to quilt in the hoop, consider that the smaller dimension is the governing size if you want a square. :D
Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Started with Brother SE350 it only had 4 x 4 hoop, sold it and bought the innovis 1250D that has the 5 x 7, wish now I had saved more and gotten the one up that has the 6x x 10, mine has the 6 x 10 hoop, but only the 5 x7 embroidery field, which what is really important. The larger hoops are sometimes only for saving re hooping, and if you think you may want to quilt in the hoop, consider that the smaller dimension is the governing size if you want a square. :D
You are right, Pat, the size of the stitching field is the major and deciding factor. I am looking at getting the 5x12 hoop because I have software that allows for a pattern to be split which I used successfully a few times on the SE350 (4x4), and I am sure it should be useful with the PE770 (5x7), as well as more room to design withiout having to rehoop.
Marysewfun
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice. I think I'm going to take my time and visit each of the major dealers and check out each machine. This way I can play with each of the machines and hopefully get a chance to take an embroidery class as I've never done any. This board is great!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
My husband is looking to buy me an embroidery machine as a belated Christmas present. I think we have narrowed it down to the Brother PE770 and the Janome 300E. Both offer 5x7 hoops. My question is, do I really need the larger hoop or would a machine that does 4x4 be sufficient? I have never embroidered in my life but have always wanted to learn. I would like to embroider squares to make quilts and maybe embroider on dish hand towels. Thanks for any suggestions. :)
I have the Brother1500D Embroidery machine(second hand) and I will be using it for the first time no the week end. Hopefully all the other gifts except the hand bag for my sister.I want to embroider the names of my GD and GN onto their book bags since both go to school next year.