Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what size quilt do you make?

what size quilt do you make?

I have seen many quilt pattern that make quilts that don't really fit a bed, what size quilt do you make most?
    Last edited by quiltlady1941; 04-25-2018 at 10:02 AM.

I make anything from double to king. None of us in our family like anything smaller, including me.

I do a lot of quilting for charity, so most of mine are in the 48x60 range. I do big square quilts for wheelchairs, maybe 48 square.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I usually make either twin size for my granddaughters or a queen size for my dh and myself. My grandson picked out a panel and some matching fabric and wants a wall hanging for his room. I am pretty excited as it will not take me long to get that done.

I usually make quilts that are to be used watching TV. The weight of large quilts is difficult to work with and I usually make quilts with fabric I find fun. If it takes too long and I get bored it becomes closet food - it goes in and never comes out. I have sent several to people that way they like to finish quilts or use up fabric that I no longer like.

Usually large nap size/twin. For baby quilts-34 x 40. Charity ones, 55 x 70 or so.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Any size that fits a bed, mostly queen and king. I like for my quilts to be big enough to use. We use our bed quilts for tv watching also.

I make sizes that will fit a bed if that is the intention. I also do charity quilts and those are smaller - more for a child or a wheelchair

I almost never make a bed size quilt. Mostly I make lap size, 40x60 range. The big ones are too hard for me to handle with the sandwiching and then the quilting. If the pattern makes a bigger size, I figure out how to downsize it. And since I like modern/wonky looking quilts, I most likely will make as many blocks as I want then add different sized borders.
    Lori

I make lap size & baby size. I've only made one twin size & that's the largest I've ever made.

Either twin beds size or queen size, unless if I am making baby quilts. Mostly I would say 85% queen!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    i make donation quilts for the cancer center, usually 40x55 to 42x60
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    I almost never make a bed size quilt. Mostly I make lap size, 40x60 range. The big ones are too hard for me to handle with the sandwiching and then the quilting.
    Same here. I make my own designs or modify the pattern to make whatever size they turn out to be, usually somewhere between lap and twin size. I've made a couple of Queen or king size and found the whole process to be too cumbersome.

My most common size are twin quilts, at least 70x90. I like to make large lap quilts too, about 70x70.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I make baby quilts mostly about 42"X42" and kids quilts a little bigger, all charity ones. I've made several full size ones for family and friends... when I was younger. My quilts are all utility ones, never for quilt shows or wall hangings.

I make all sizes, from wall hangings to super-sized kings.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Oh, from 24x36 to 120” square. And everything in between.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I like to make small quilts that are useful for napping or lounging or throws. Not everyone can handle the heaviness of a large quilt.
    Lisa

The size quilts I make are usually lap size to queen.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Blog Entries
    Depends on the purpose. We use down duvets on all the beds, so for family I make lap/throw size. I do not put quilts on the beds.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Baby, lap, small twin or regular twin. Have made a few queen size, never a king. Sometimes the fabric tells me what to do with it, sometimes the amount of fabric tells me the same thing.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I make baby quilts or throw size. If I want a bed quilt I just make one big enough to cover the top of the bed. I have a white duvet cover and pillowcases to go underneath. The few full size bed quilts I have made are so heavy to lie under and I tend to toss about quite a lot so find it very uncomfortable.

For a bed quilt I like it to be the size of the mattress and about 15 inches(anywhere from 12-20) on either side of the quilt and on one end to cover the edge of the mattress.
    I always seem to want to make quilts a slightly different size from the pattern and I am always changing something about them, it's why I started using EQ.

Blog Entries
    The majority of my quilts are queen sized but I tend to just make them what ever size fits the need. If I start with a commercial pattern I tend to change it to fit what I want it to be.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I find if the quilt pattern doesn't make the size I need I add a couple borders to make it larger or another row of the blocks if I can. I try to use up all the scraps made while putting the quilt together. There are so many types of borders that really add to the quilt. I doubt if I have enough years to try them all.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast