Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in? >

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 AM

I have a large flat dividied plastic tray at each machine and several Swiffer containers with the clear plastic lids as well as a large coffee cup. Now the trick it to figure out which place I put stuff!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 AM

I have a sewing table (similar to the Horn of America ones) and it has 4 drawers on the right hand side. I keep the stuff I use the most in the top drawer and leave the drawer open when I am working. Cuts down on the mess on the desk top.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 AM

I have a Longaberger basket that I keep all of my essentials in. In it is zip lock that holds all of those "I use once in a while but want to keep close" items. This same basket acts as my traveling bag when I take my quilting away from home. I just add a long extension cord and I am good to go. What I do works for me, but I am always looking for good ideas from the board members.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 AM

I'm in the process of making one of those for taking to classes and workshops. My machine at home is flush mounted so that doesn't work but space always seems to be limited at classes.

Originally Posted by donac View Post
I have something that goes under my machine and hangs down in front. The part that hangs down in front has pockets. The part that lies under the machine extends to the right. There is a pocket that holds scissors and a pin cushions.

I made it myself. I quilted a large rectangle of fabric. I bound it and then folded part of up and sewed lines to make pockets. I put on the pin cushion and the pocket for the scissors
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM

must go to Joanne's later today and buy that organizer!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
Now don't laugh, but I have three empty (yes I ate them) oreo cookie trays for scissors, pencils, small rulers, seam rippers, glue sticks...they are just the right size!
What a great idea! I'm all about recycling and repurposing so this is a perfect idea. Guess I need to buy some cookies!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1 View Post
Do you use any kind of organizer near your sewing machine to keep things like scissors, seam rippers, bobbins, pins etc in?
I have a partitioned tool box with a flip top cover. I keep everything in there all the time so when I'm going to work sessions I never forget anything. You can get these at Sears, Home Depot, or anywhere where you can buy a tool box. It is low and flat and fits in my oversize suitcase into which I put all my other sewing stuff.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 AM

My thread is organized by color and by designer in a large rectangle "cookie tin." I have two of those - one for small size thread spools and the larger one. This works for me.

I have a metal plate | dish rack that I have all my larger rulers (not sure about that organizer - it gets in my way too often) and a small "to do paper | envelope" type rack for the small rulers.

Baskets. I have the round old basket (my grandmothers) for embroidery thread; other baskets store scraps such as selveges, one for triangles...scissors are on a freebie neck "fabric chain" which when I am not using, I have hooked to two knobs on my sewing machine table. Several Pin Cushions that keep getting knocked off.

I use the clear magazine stack up holders for patterns, magazines, and printed articles, etc.

But NEVER organized.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 AM

Anything about sewing that has organizer in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
Phyllis
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
http://www.joann.com/scrap-essential...te/xprd150553/
use to use it for my sizzix dies, got something bigger and this kind of became my sewing desk storage,holds lots of scissors, rotary cutters, fat quarters, pin cushion, etc.
I've often looked at those but never thought to incorporate it into my sewing. What a great ideal!