Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to Teach a First Time Quilter (Child) >

What to Teach a First Time Quilter (Child)

What to Teach a First Time Quilter (Child)

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 PM

I was 11 when I took my 1st sewing class -- I still remember the beautiful multi-colored windsock from summer classes.
I would definitely pick a log-cabin or other similar straight line design for the doll quilts.
For the 9 year old, it might be a good idea to have some Fabric Fusion glue on hand so that she can still experience something if the sewing proves to be too much for her. Some kids really love picking colors/layout more than the actual sewing, some love machine stitching & others love a simple hand applique like a single heart in the center. If you can, maybe bring a couple cheater needles along in the event that is something that is more interesting to her.
Also, unless they really love sewing, you'll get about 20-25 minutes of attention from the 9 year old & about 35 minutes or so for the 11 year old. So one thing you might consider is whether to seam the edges (or serge them if you have a serger) versus applying binding. I've worked with 8 year olds on sewing projects & honestly some of them absolutely LOVE cutting. If you have a Klutz glove, it should be fine to let them use a Rotary cutter after a stern warning that if they are quick or careless they could end up having to get a bunch of stitches at the hospital (hey, it's happened to experienced adults!). With kids I've known really well, I've even let them do some cutting without a Klutz glove but that requires some judgement as to how exactly they can follow instructions & curl their fingers/keep them away from the blade. I always make sure to put on a new blade & get my scissors sharpened just before I have kids use them because the sharper they are, the less likely they are to slip or catch and end up off-track.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM

I just taught my 10 y/o grandaughter how to do a flannel rag quilt. Easy
Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 PM

I was thinking maybe precut some strips....maybe 2 to 5 inches wide. Then let them sew them in any order they want. Maybe the size could be a doll size or table placemat. 3 or 4 pieces would be enough. Trim them off even and add a back and backing. Let them quilt it by sewing along the middle or any way they want to. Might could be done in 3 hrs.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 PM

mug rugs would be fun for them to make, small enough to not be too daunting and something they can finish quickly
or maybe a pillow
Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 PM

I was 8 when I learned to sew. My best friend and I made Barbie clothes. Still have a couple - they were beautiful at the time, now they look hysterical. When we did the Girl Scouts they were 10 and we made a pillow. The co-leader and I felt they were getting too old for dolls and they all had a bed to put the pillow on. They weren't very big. The next year we made tote bags.

If they want to learn to quilt, my suggestion would be a patchwork using 5 or 6 inch squares that you have already cut out. If you know their favorite colors then that will help. Figure out how big you want it to be and then have them sew the squares together. You can iron the strips as they finish. Do you use the glue method? I have started using the glue stick to match the seams and the Clover clips to let the glue dry and I then remove the clips as I go along - that way there are no pins. Then layer the quilt to birth it instead of binding it. Will their mom be there to help?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 AM

Why not use their skills. If one likes laying out and design. And the other likes sewing. Why not make a table runner/topper for their mom for christmas. It is something that will utilize their skills to their best. It will also teach them the best part of quilting, making something for someone.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I start them on a piece of paper with the machine unthreaded. When they can stay on the lines , I move on to string blocks. They are not gung ho until they see the 1st block trimmed. I even taught a couple brothers one summer!
i love these ideas
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
Why not use their skills. If one likes laying out and design. And the other likes sewing. Why not make a table runner/topper for their mom for christmas. It is something that will utilize their skills to their best. It will also teach them the best part of quilting, making something for someone.
I love this idea!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:20 AM

Everyone had good ideas. When I started my 3 DGDs (not all at the same time) I had them make pillowcases. It didn't take very long and they had a finished project to use right away. Three hours isn't a very long time to teach them how to make a quilt, I think you have to skip some of the learning for next time (threading the machine, cutting pieces, etc.) Out of 3 DGDs only one is still interested in sewing, the other 2 have moved on to sports and boys. lol
Sue
Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I bought my Grandniece a sewing machine for Cmas. Janome very inexpensive but just right for her. In 3 hours she learned about the machine because of the manual. She learned how to thread and set the tension. I never touched the machine, I only guided her. I had some fabric for her to make something of her choice. She used the manual to recognize each part. She is only 9. We started from the beginning. We did mark the machine for 1/4" seam allowance. I had leader ender for her to practice her stitches. Contrasting color for material so she could see her stitches. I had her thread her machine each time she did something different. It really didn't take that long. They need the manuals. By the end of the 3 hours she made a small bag with a drawstring (more like a pouch), a pillow case and a coaster. She has since made a pillow for a friend's little boy's birthday and a blanket. That has been since Christmas last year. She loves her movies and that is her time to sew. Busy little A student. Start them off with the manuals for the machines. Download them if you have to. We also took the bobbin and wound the bobbin. She has learned to use a FW that she may inherit. She loves sewing on it also. She only likes to use "old-fashioned" looking fabric on that one. And she cleans them before she uses them.