Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? >

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 AM

Hello! I posted this same question a few months back and basically got alot of the same replies. Many women on this board don't hide fabric. I felt like it should not have posted the question either... Believe it or not, since then I just make sure my house bills are paid then if I come across fabric I want for my stash I buy it with no hiding or shame. I figure I do my contribution by working, being a good woman, keeping a clean house, etc. If I want to purchase fabric I do. Of course now it is getting to the point of I am running out of space in my very small sewing room!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
My DH doesn't care how much of my money I spend (we each have our own allotted amount for spending) or how much fabric I buy, as long as I don't let it clutter up the house. Clutter he objects to.
My husband's main objection is clutter. I have the largest room in the house for my sewing and there is no room for more shelves. But I do sometimes feel guilty bringing in more fabric -- on occasion, I've left it at my friend's house, who has no husband to question her!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 AM

I live by myself, and my dogs don't tell so I don't have that problem....Now, if you're talking about sewing machines or the latest item to make sewing easier, and it takes up space, that is a different matter. My DDIL is always after me to stop spending on these things; but she DOES understand.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 AM

I don't have to sneak it in. He usually goes to QS with me and picks out more than I do. I once had a friend who worked with me at a "dry goods" store. She always rode to work with me. She bought more material than any woman I've ever known. If her husband was home before her, her fabric rode around in my car for days until she beat him home. Never could figure out where she hid the stuff in her house.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 AM

No sneaking here... If I want fabric my hubby is more than happy to let me buy. Even goes to the fabric store and adds to my cart at times...:)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 AM

I have to sneak fabric into the house as he says the floors are going to cave in!! I bring stuff into the house and hide it in places where he doesn't go when he's working late. However, when we're in a fabric shop he'll tell me what fabrics to purchase and tells me to buy a couple yards of each....so I've learned that when I'm going fabric shopping its best to bring him along so "I can get his opinion" if you know what I mean. I usually come home with more than I really needed or wanted.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Because I don't drive, 90% of the time my husband is right there with me picking out fabric so I don't need to hide anything from him. And, more times than not he encourages me to purchase more fabric... not less. Of course that may be designed to cut down on the driving (1 hour each way)...whatever the reason... I love him for encouraging/supporting my creativity.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 AM

Mine will help me pick out fabric and always is asking if there is anything else I need. Plus he doesn't mind me shopping online or ebay. Gotta love him. :)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 AM
j

Thank goodness I dont have to I pay the bills and my husband just says dont bankrupt us. I find it usually is the men who feel their paycheck is there's and women have to ask for things. I feel sorry for them. Everyone should have their own checking accounts with husband's name on it -just in case- but have certain amts of cash you can spend without having to explain. I only hide his presents until I can give them to him. -- J.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 AM

my hubby doesent say anything about my spending its my money .