Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? >

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM

DH buys r/c airplanes which cost alot more than fabric. so theres not a problem. BUT I have been know to get out of the car and leave the bags in the garage until the next day LOL
Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM

I leave it in my SUV, which he never drives. When I knowvhe will be gone awhile ibring some in. He thinks I have enough fabric to do anything for the next 5 years. He doesn't understand that it takes more than a couple of yards to make a quilt. this snecking is one of the reasons I am trying to get him interestedin quilting.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 PM

For me, I have a very frugal hubby which most of the time I appreciate. He want's to get value for his money, he's very careful of what he buys and expects me to be as frugal. I think if I would only buy what I was going to use for a project he probably wouldn't give me the sad look.

Plus my stash isn't very pretty so it sort of looks like a mess to the nonquilty people. I mean, I understand my piles...

A few years ago I mentioned I wanted a new sewing machine because the one I had was very basic, I wanted to get a few more bells and whistles. He went to the fabric store by himself and talked with the sewing machine lady and bought me a brand new Viking DSE. This is the man who doesn't bother buying presents for major events. His thing is a kiss and a "I love you" So I was completely blown away with a $5k sewing machine that I would have never bought for myself.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM

No hiding here either. You should see his stash of lures, wacky worms, smelly jelly and rods with reels. Just as some of us have more than one sewing machine, fishermen have to have more than one setup.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Don't hide any of it, no need to, he can see the mess11
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

I don't care how many antiques he buys and he doesn't care how much fabric I buy as long as we don't spend more than we have. I get Social Security & he told me when I married me, he intended to support me & I can use my ss money for anything I want. He never says anything to me, except "where are you going to put it" and "are you ever going to use any of that fabric?" He also tells me when we go to Missoula (closest JoAnns) that JoAnns is closed for the day, but he lets me go if I want.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I don't hide fabric when I get it either. My husband doesn't mind if I buy fabric in fact he will "shop" for fabric with me when we can.
Yep...this is how we operate. If I go out during the day and make a purchase I leave it on the dining table to show him when he comes home of an evening. He is very supportive of my quilting (keeps me quiet ;-) )
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by harvsstuff
My DH has a 24 x 36 workshop with all the whisles and bells I dont hide anything just moan alot how I want a workshop like his.
What does he use his workshop for? My husband has one 30 X 60 and it is full of car projects.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM

I never hide what I buy and since I don't buy unless I absolutey need it, he's ok with it. For instance, if I find fabric, batting, etc at a yard sale I've struck the motherload and he praises me. If I need to buy something at a store I make sure I can do it around payday and plan when it can be done. Sometimes I have to wait, so I will begin another project to keep me busy until I can make that purchase.

Currently I am looking to make a spring/summer wall hanging and I am interested in doing an applique-type project with a panel in the middle. I seriously looked thru all my stuff and couldn't find a panel to use. He told me to wait until payday and to go buy something I liked, but it had to be really pretty and colorful! I am planning about 45x45. So far I've searched online and tomorrow I am going to the quilt shop to browse around. I think the problem will rise when I have to decide which ONE to buy.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Jim

LOL such a funny topic...my wife doesn't mind that I buy fabric..usually we are always together. A few months ago my oldest grandson was with me and I got about 10 yards...a few weeks later my wife said I dont remember this fabric...LOL...I just said "It was Logan's fault he liked it"...lol