Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? >

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 PM

My first DH didn't care, what ever I wanted to do was OK. I was a widow for 10 years (that is when I got into quilting in a BIG way), made my own money bought fabric when I wanted to (sometimes just to make ME happy). DH #2 just doesn't understand at ALL. When I moved into our new (only new to use), told DH I would be bring my sewing THINGS. He almost fell over when I showed up with 2 machines (my treadle came along later), and a small amt of fabric (his 1st wife didn't know a thing about sewing). What he didn't know was I have another machine at my mothers or about my sewing cave at my mothers. We live in a 2 bedroom home (small), but I know how to HIDE my new fabric. I use baskets for storage (all have lids), stack and standing in the corner of both bedrooms. Table in guestroom covers a LOT of fabric. Have inside of my rolling sewing machine bag (machine is out of the bag). I ended up pulling out another 12 yards of fabric from under the guestbed (forgot it, but it is nice and flat). As I have gone on the GREAT fabric hunt (in my house), I have found that I am going to have to put some of this extra fabric up for sale. I am just not sewing as fast as I used to.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Our door from the garage opens into the laundry room which then opens into the kitchen. When I come in and want to hide 'anything', into the washing machine it goes. My DH never looks in the washer and then I can just wait for the right moment to sneak it the rest of the way in. LOL works everytime.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM

I'm new to this so it hasn't become a problem yet but I can see that it will eventually. He does a lot of the spend on himself to match what I've spent...kind of juvenile when I think about it.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 PM

When I order fabric online, I have it sent to my office and then put whatever fits into my "work" bag to bring it home. May take a few trips sometimes. He knows I have more fabric than time to sew it. I have a job and spending money so he doesn't complain about how much I spend but wonders why if I already have so much fabric, that I always need to stop at a shop to pick up more.---of course, it's to finish up a project with what I DON'T have!! lol
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM

I have never had to sneak in fabric. My DH and I both have hobbies which we "feed." :lol:
Old 03-19-2011, 12:10 AM

everything i smuggle in goes directly in to the closet. everything but food, that is. then when he asks me, 'is that new?' i say "this? it's been in the closet'. works very well! and i never lie! ;)
Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 AM

Maybe I'm the oddball again, but I do see many of the same thoughts....I would never hide anything...nor do I need to...maybe that's my blessing. I would honestly hate to feel I had to hide anything I purchased.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Banned

NO, I am my own person, I do not want to know what husb spends on his hobby so why would he query me.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM

I have to wonder about all you women that SAY YOUR HUSBAND TELLS YOU TO BUY .. why would they do that?

Also: When husband goes with you and picks out fabrics too... or BUYS MORE THAN YOU.. are they ALSO A sewer, or just like the fabrics?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Not much sneaking here, I just buy DH a couple pieces of Ghirardelli chocolate with every purchase. One time the cashier reminded me to get my chocolate...whew!